New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i remove the little cougar letters, and what do i need to put them on a different spot? what kind of tape.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
3M should work

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled mine off with my fingernails. They don't take much effort and they just come off. Some of them will leave some sticky stuff behind. I just rubbed most of it off with my fingers, but I have seen a lot of people say that they just used some Goo Gone or something of the sort. As for putting them back on, I agree...3m is the best. I couldn't tell you that for sure since I left mine off, but 3m rocks. I'm sure it will work.

Take it easy

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
i did it to mine.. just order a new set because the ones that are on there now will have gooey backing on them that is no longer sticky. a new set is like 10 bucks from your dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
use some nylon fishing wire and *wearing gloves so you don't slice your fingers* use it to cut with a sawing action behind the letters. remaining adhesive can be removed with goo gone, wd40 etc. i would advise you to buy a new set of cougar letters from the dealership, b/c they will come with the tape attached, and if you look at the size of the letters, it would prolly save a lot of time and aggravation - imagine getting tape to fit perfectly onto the letters?

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree that ordering a new set is the best but if you are impatient like me you can go to like autozone or something and by the strongest 3m tape they have. I think it has a red backing on it. Anyway, it does take some time to get it cut right but mine looks great.

·
Registered
656 Posts
....and always remember to use safety glasses!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Originally posted by: Housecat
....and always remember to use safety glasses!
....and the nice red search button!

Just kiddin!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
by the way .. i had a ***** of a time getting the rear mercury logo off. it wasn't hot out and the fishing line just wasn't working. So i took a butter knife and "stabbed" the backing. the backing is only about 1/4 of inch think (width) and goes fully around the emblem. there are 3 center dowls that can easiely break off.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The 3M emblem adhesive in a tube also works pretty well for that kind of stuff

·
Registered
244 Posts
After you take of the Mercury emblem, aren't you left with holes? WHat could fit over the holes? I don't feel like bondo and painting. If I used the same size cougar emblem as on the front grill, would if cover all the holes?
anyone have pics?

JOE

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yes, that is true, there are three holes left behind when removing the Mercury symbol off the trunk lid. If you don't like the Mercury symbol there are different options being sold. Check Custom Cougars

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Originally posted by: BazookaJOE
After you take of the Mercury emblem, aren't you left with holes? WHat could fit over the holes? I don't feel like bondo and painting. If I used the same size cougar emblem as on the front grill, would if cover all the holes?
anyone have pics?

JOE
pic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts