New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all seems when I post here that it is always bad news. I got new rubber (Kuhmo ASX) all the way around early last week and everything was great. I was dropping a friend off Friday morning before work when I felt a slight vibration on the highway. Not sure of what I was I started to slow down in the left lane with a semi to my right (2 lane highway). All of a sudden the steering wheel vibrated horribly for about 2 seconds and the front left wheel came off. The car pulled towards the Semi, but I was able to yank the wheel back and pull it off in the ditch/median between North and South bound lanes. Thankfully no one was hurt including myself.

I called the people who did my tires, steaming mad of course, and they immediately sent out a flatbed to come get the car, drop me off at home, and bring the car to the shop. After looking at the damage close up today, the wheel complete messed up the fender as it exited the car, the rotor is crap from being dropped on to concrete at speed, and tie rod end is pretty messed up. They are also replacing the part where the wheel mounts to (not sure of the name) because a bolt sheared off, which caused the tire to come off in the first place.

The most convenient thing about all of this is that it happened on the same side that my car was hit and run earlier this year. The shop just assumed that the dents/scuffs on the door and the mirror missing came from the wheel striking my car, so that is getting fixed too. I don't feel too bad about getting them for something that is not their fault because my life and anyone else on the highway was placed at risk the day this happened.

I know they are kissing my rear end big time because they don't want to be sued or have bad publicity. I was actually surprised by how willing they were to immediately take care of the situation with no problems. Car should be back from the body shop late this week, just keeping my fingers crossed they don't mess up the paint matching. Silver Frost isn't that hard.

Anyone else have any fun horror stories like this one?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same story exept that it was a rear wheel, it did not come off the car and............. well not so alike your story after all!!:rofl: But the garage did forgot to tighten my rear wheel nut after they work on :mad: I just happend to be lucky enought to fix it before something happend:eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Same thing nearly happened to me a few years ago (in a different car). Shop apparently didn't tighten down the front driver's side wheel nuts. Luckily I was able to immediately get off the road when I felt the vibration getting bad and tighten them down before anything broke/fell off. Just scared the crap out of me because I was taking my g/f to the hospital to see her dad who's just been in a wreck that messed him up really bad and killed her mom.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Same thing nearly happened to me a few years ago (in a different car). Shop apparently didn't tighten down the front driver's side wheel nuts. Luckily I was able to immediately get off the road when I felt the vibration getting bad and tighten them down before anything broke/fell off. Just scared the crap out of me because I was taking my g/f to the hospital to see her dad who's just been in a wreck that messed him up really bad and killed her mom.
wow that sucks dude im so sorry to hear that. hopefully her dad at least makes it. :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Like I said, that's been a little while ago. Yeah her dad pulled through...had to get a plate in his head and have his hand and leg put back together, but he seems to be doing as well as can be expected now. Physically anyway...losing his wife was pretty rough on him and the whole family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts