New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Midwest Racing, NECO, and CEG went to Byron Dragway today... And Eric (nord68 is his name i think) from IL-NECO pulled some amazing numbers from his coug. His mods are weaponr, pro flo maf(with a CEL), and borla.

His lowest time today was [email protected] mph...
as far as i know, nobody here with msds has even touched this number, and stock svt contours dont even go this fast... he can pull consistent 15.5's at a different track, and today at Byron pulled 15.5, 15.3, 15.2, and 15.1....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Impressive, very impressive indeed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hmmmmm..... i havent touched that number cuz i havent run at a sea level track....i cant wait to get to one now....those are some very impressive numbers indeed...i give Eric props X10......

A guy that ran with me at my local track said the altitude correction factor is .95 So if i multiply my 15.83 times .95 then that is a 15.0x run..... but i hate using the calculations...i would rather just run the time....but i really have no choice... it looks like the 75mm MAF really does help, should be enough evidence to all the MAF haters that say unless you get a bigger Throttle Body, then the MAF wont help...well, there is your proof ....a friggin 15.1 ET ...LOL MUAHHHHAHAHAHHA... Im telling you boys, our cars are sleepers....these little Duratecs are diamonds in the rough..

Nikolas

G

·
There are so many variables when racing, drag or road. This track must allow him to hook up really well. I doubt his car is actually faster than a stock SVT, it's jus tthat he ran a good time at a good track. Most people run low-mid 15's on crappy tracks. One guy had only no res and a KKM and ran a 14.7 in OH with his SVT. I bet this Eric guy could have driven a stock SVT under 15 seconds at that track.

G

·
Wow, Tim has no res and a KKM and ran 15.4, his best time in his SVT Contour. There are a lot of factors, I think Eric has raced for a long time so he can probably optimize all the factors more than some of us (me
) I think the track was in the best shape I've seen it this year for the pro guys who were running, it kinda has to be or we would see more crashed up 50k plus cars! ( Poor Corvette!) Maybe we should have Eric drive Tim's Contour and see what he can pull out of it!

G

·
<< the stock svt's WERE running low 15's at that track >>

<< Wow, Tim has no res and a KKM and ran 15.4, his best time in his SVT Contour. There are a lot of factors, I think Eric has raced for a long time so he can probably optimize all the factors more than some of us (me ) I think the track was in the best shape I've seen it this year for the pro guys who were running, it kinda has to be or we would see more crashed up 50k plus cars! ( Poor Corvette!) Maybe we should have Eric drive Tim's Contour and see what he can pull out of it >>

Joe Average was running low 15's without optimize launch and little experience? Eric has a lot of experience? Like I said, too many variables. I would have been interested in seeing what kind of time Eric would have run in Tim's SVT also. I find it hard to believe that any combination of bolt ons would make a regular 2.5L run as quick as an SVT, all else being equal (including driver).

That said, congrats to Eric for truely pushing the envelope of the Cougar.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How did the Corvette lose it? This kinda scares me, 'cause my Mom started getting into drag racing her C5....and it's a convertible! I doubt anyone can survive a 100mph wreck in one of those, without serious rollbar protection. Why Chevy doesn't provide rollbars from the factory is beyond me!

G

·
I honestly didn't see the wreck, but from what I understand he was at almost the 60ft mark and the tires broke loose, instead of letting off he thought he could steer through and stayed on it! He did some # of 360 degree turns and hit the wall both in front and w/ the back of his car. I guess the lesson is... you can always run again, don't stay on the gas if you aren't hooked up and going straight. I'm sure any pro guy would say the same thing! I agree that there should be a roll bar in those cars, if they are made for speed, they should also be made for safety. People misjudge their abilities everyday, it really sucks that this guy had to do it this way. At least he wasn't hurt, it really could have been worse! (Reagan from IL and Dan "The Contour Guy" posted some sad pics of the car!)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
One reason why a regular 2.5L with I/H/E will beat a SVT 2.5 with no mods is because the regular with boltons makes more power (or at least dead even...) and i think the car weighs less too..... I wish there were more SVT and Cougar owners near me that race their cars...i need people to compare mods too and race with/against.....and i need a better track, but that is a different story....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I need to ask something. Why is it that the contour owners cannot believe a cougar is as quick as an SVT?? How much less does a cougar weigh than a 'tour? You figure, more power in an SVT and more weight, right??? That is where the cougar is catching up I feel. I jokingly raced against my friends SVT when living in Ohio and totally kept up. Maybe I am wrong, just my $.02. I dont want to inflame anyone, just expressing my opinion.

G

·
Ya know what? I haven't driven Tim's contour, I'll have to try it out! Maybe we can swap cars for a run at the next event! I would like to compare them myself!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks Cougrr8. I'm sorry that guy lost his car, but immediately the words "TRACTION CONTROL" come to mind.

G

·
I raced a black SVT a while back... we we're crusing at 40 mph, and he pulled up next to me... he took off first, but I caught him pretty quick. At 90-95 I was 1/2 to 1 car ahead... But I'm modded up too.. I'm sure the SVT was stock......

Shon

G

·
It's the Mass Air Flow sensor... and a Check Engine Light...

The MAF allows more air into the intake...

Shon

G

·
<< I need to ask something. Why is it that the contour owners cannot believe a cougar is as quick as an SVT?? How much less does a cougar weigh than a 'tour? You figure, more power in an SVT and more weight, right??? That is where the cougar is catching up I feel. I jokingly raced against my friends SVT when living in Ohio and totally kept up. Maybe I am wrong, just my $.02. I dont want to inflame anyone, just expressing my opinion. >>

It makes sense that weight would make a big difference. But according to Edmunds, the Cougar weighs 3013 pounds. IIRC, the SVT Contour weighs 3080. With driver weight differences and Cougar options, I'd call it a wash. Weight not an issue, then.

I don't have a problem with anyone making a Cougar or regular Duratec car quicker than the SVT. Great for them! The difference at the wheels of peak horsepower stock for stock are probably in the 15-20 range. That's not too hard to overcome, but it takes more than simple bolt ons to do it. Intake and exhaust can do it alone, I believe. One guy gained about 20Hp and negigble torque going to a true dual exhaust setup on his SVT, for example with dyno runs before and after.

My friend had a 97 SE with 5-speed that he used to race SVT's all the time. Sure it was close street racing, but 0.5 seconds is only a couple car lengths at 60mph. So it appears closer than you think.

But I go back to my original statement that there are so many factors to racing. Eric got a great time in his Cougar. Excellent work and I never said I didn't believe him. Can everyone get 15.1 in a Cougar, Eric's car or another's? No. Will everyone in an SVT beat him? No. I don't like people arguing on paper about what's faster than what. Too many factors. Take it to the street or track and prove it. I think I'm a pretty decent driver and would be up to any of these challenges.

<< One reason why a regular 2.5L with I/H/E will beat a SVT 2.5 with no mods is because the regular with boltons makes more power (or at least dead even...) and i think the car weighs less too..... I wish there were more SVT and Cougar owners near me that race their cars...i need people to compare mods too and race with/against.....and i need a better track, but that is a different story. >>

That makes absoluety no sense. It's the same engine design. The same design for modifications (MSDS for both) will provide about the same level of increase in performance for both cars.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<< That makes absoluety no sense. It's the same engine design. The same design for modifications (MSDS for both) will provide about the same level of increase in performance for both cars. >>

Yeah it makes sense. Read what he said better... he said that a Regular 2.5 with MSDS etc will be faster than a stock SVT.. not a SVT with the exact same mods.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.