New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well like the title states my cougars out of commission :( .... i was driving on a back road heading to my place last night, and right when you leave town theres a pretty steep hill you have to go over first, well i started up over this hill and right near the top i downshifted to second and idk if there was a bump or something, but the front tires broke loose for no more than a second and when they cought traction again there was a loud pop and grinding noise and i lost all my gears....so i called and got the flatbed to come pick it up, and when i got to my house i checked the axels and the transmission case and they all looked good???? Its almost like it ripped the splines off of the axels or out of the differential or something idk but long story short i no longer have a car to get back and forth from work, so untill i find a new tranny :banghead: we have another cougar down.....:cry:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you shredded the spider gears of the diff...

That's a very similar situation to when people blow the diffs due to wheel hop.

·
Registered
979 Posts
mellott, you spend soo much time fixing your cougar. No wonder you got it so cheap. That sux man. If you need a new diff then go for a LSD. You just changed the axles and the clutch a little bit ago to.

Nothin has fallen off mine lately, but i do have alot of suspention noise. And i drug it across a gas pipe that was sticking out of the road durring constuction, I might have torn my flex joint. Its not destroyed and I cant hear an obvious leak, but it looks kinda rough. My contorl arms are clunking and my sway bar is squeaking.

Oh and I had a garaged door close on the front of mine the other day. I parked in the loading dock at work and wasnt far enough in, and as it turns out my car is lower than the sensor. So i have a nice big set of gouges in my front bumper. :banghead:

Oh the joys of owning a cougar.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yea i know cougars are like bad girlfriends, they piss u off but no matter how bad they do you just keep going back because they have some strange hold over you :eek: .....but my buddy jason from the local speed shop will probably be rebuilding my trans and he wants to put in a new LSD and he wants to upgrade all my gears to the hardend race gears and he said something about tweeking my ratios a bit so ill leave all that to him but when its all said an done it'll be around 1900 bucks that includes parts and labor...

i would pull the transmission out myself then just take that into him but after doing my clutch in a garage without a lift for dropping the cradle i decided they can do everything

well sweet jesus ted it sounds to me like the zebra just went through a war or sumthin :bowdown: lol but atleast it still moves forward all i can do is set in mine and rev it up

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I would guess that you already checked when you said "the axles look ok", but did you make sure one of the axles did not break inside the boot. If it did there would be a lot play in the axle, and if you put it in gear and let out the clutch, check to make sure that part of the axle is not just spinning up to one of the boots.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep that was the first thing i checked when it happened hoping it wasnt the tranny but both axels are still just as tight as they were when i bought them a month or so ago and if i jack the car up so one of the wheels are off the ground the wheel will turn if i slowly let out the clutch but if theres any pressure on the wheel at all it just slips and grinds inside the tranny some where and doesnt turn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts