New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Cougar has been making a juke/bucking movement as i accelerate as if I was low on gas. It's only every now and then but it's enough for me to worry..

I can't see this being a simple fix but i'd rather fix it before i find myself waiting on the highway for a tow truck.. Any ideas what's going on? I'll be happy to supply more info if needed, just ask..please

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Re: Cougar Down

more specific? going to say if it seems like its gas related check fuel pump. If not then injectors and such, im going to say fuel pump from the very vague description lol. is yours under recall?

·
Registered
474 Posts

it could be a bad idle arm control valve (iacv) if it randomly makes a violent "bucking" movement every now and again....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

it could be a bad idle arm control valve (iacv) if it randomly makes a violent "bucking" movement every now and again....
idle arm control valve? lol jk... idle air he means but yea thats def a possibility seeing as mine is messed up as well and it does buck and such at times. any engine codes popping up?

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts

No; it really couldn't. The IACV is bypassed anytime the throttle is open. Hence the word "IDLE".

I will second the fuel pump theory. Call your dealership and see if you qualify for the extended warranty work on the fuel pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I second B3nn3t's advice. Mine wasn't covered (very late build '02), so I replaced my pump. $105 at Checker (O'Reilly's), four hours of pretty easy work and it was done. Check this 'Problems' forum back less than two weeks ago. I received a lot of very helpful advice from several members.

You'll spend more on a tow to your closest repair shop and cab fare home, to say nothing of the repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts