New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this tool chest from Costco and it is awesome. First of all it is huge, second it is stainless steel, third it only cost $650. While $650 may seem like a lot, this unit has got to be worth over $1000. The thing is so strong and the ball bearings make everything glide so smoothly, almost too smoothly.

I had compared this to the unit at Sams Club, they both had their benefits, Sams Club had their display model locked, I cant stand it when a store does that so I purchased the Costco one. In actuality the Costco one is probably better for what I need it for, one of the benefits I like is that all the drawers are split, not huge wide drawers like the Sams one. The Sams one offers a neat feature which makes the drawers close automatically if you leave it open, in actuality all they did is put the drawer slides at a slight angle so that the weight of the drawer closes itself. Overall I love this Costco unit and am glad I got it over the Sams one anyway.

attached is a pic of my unit all set up in my garage. The black Craftsman unit next to it is brand new, needless to say its going back. It is a top of the line Griplatch, got it for $500 but the new one is so much better. This is actually the third unit we purchased, the first one was a standard, cheap, Craftsman unit that went on sale for $270. We later returned that one to upgrade to the ball bearing GripLatch unit u see in that picture. Now that one is going back for that stainless steel monster sitting beside it. Wile both in the picture have ball bearing slides, the Costco unit feels much stronger, glides much easier. Even the wheels on the Costco unit are filled with ball bearings, I constantly have to engage the wheel brake because the unit will just glide away. The Craftsman unit also has ball bearing wheels but not nearly as many balls inside and doesn't glide like the other unit.

Incase you were wondering, the Costco unit weighs just under 500 pounds, the craftsman one beside it is around 250.

Photo 1: the unit in my garage
Photo 2: the Sams Club unit (same cost)
Photo 3: the unit in our MDX, hard to tell in the pic but it came in two boxes which fit perfectly going from the back of the car to the front with the middle seats folded down. Amazingly we were even able to close the rear hatch.

*This has nothing to do with the tool chest but in picture 3, the upper left hand corner, that car is awsome. Nothing on it is stock, notice how the thing is actualy touching the ground, he always has to lift the hydrolics on it before he can drive it. It drives so fast also. Of cource it has all the usual refinements, neons, 2000 watt stereo system, custom exaust that has the neighbors screaming. (sorry no machine guns...inside joke only Bond people will understand)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looks medical grade almost, like something you would see in a hospital.

Good value it seems, but what do I know, I just have a tackle box with dremel, a hammer, and some screwdrivers and pliers.

Now all you need is some hi-po stickers and some centerfolds to hang on that bad boy

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
my dad bought a Hammerhead too. Build quality is brick ****house even for an industrial tool chest. I really like how there's like a slight 'hill' of resistance when fully closing the drawrs... like youre clicking them shut softly

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Craftsman unit we are returning is the unit with GripLatch. Basicly the handels lift to unlock, when you close any drawer it acutaly clicks. It makes it so that when transporting the unit the drawrs dont just open up. The Costco unit does not have that but like you said it has a little stiffnes at the end so it basicly accomplishes the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts