New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to change the entire exhaust from the headers back, and so far I have a Borla dual exhaust. I just ordered a complete Y-pipe with a highflow cat from mandrelexhaustsystems.com, and I will be getting some MSDS headers soon. I was just wondering about how much a garage would charge to replace the headers. I could change the y-pipe, but i was probably going to let them to that to since they would have to unbolt it anyways. I am new to this site btw, well, long time reader, first time posting

any ideas/guesses?

2000 Roush Edition. MTX. AEM short ram intake, Borla dual exhaust.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
wrong section...... I think it was like 2 hrs of work or maybe thats how long it takes to get the rear one off?. it all depends on where you go as to how much they charge an hour

·
Administrator
15,451 Posts
Welcome to NECO. I'm moving this to the 2.5 performance section.

wrong section...... I think it was like 2 hrs of work to get them on all depends on where you go as to how much they charge an hour
2 hours? For headers? I'd like to meet that mechanic.

Ok, don't listen to kwg..

Headers are a pretty big job. The best thing you could do is get some quotes. There isn't a lot of room to work in there, and some shops might even tell you to :gtfo:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured this was the wrong section. I already made another thread in the correct section. I was going to delete this one. I figured it would cost alot because I have looked and like you said, there is hardly any room. But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Get some quotes, that would be your best bet. My guess is 600-1000.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I'm in Northern Virginia, and quote 4 hours for the job at my NECO/CEG reduced labor rate.

It's a bit of a haul, but if you're interested, PM me for rate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be interested Dan G, but that's a little over 5 hours driving. But is it really a 4 hour job? I figured it would be difficult but i never thought it would take that long. I appreciate the offer though. I'm going to run by some garages and get some quotes next week.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
DanG would probably be worth it, at shops who have never done it before it would be 8+ hours. Expect to have no car for at least a day if you get it done there.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Just comes from experience with the car / engine / engine compartment. I know what's got to come off & how to get to it quickly.

ATXs take 5-6 hours, depending on how many roll restrictor bolts are seized in the transaxle casing...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did mine recently. The front was not that bad but getting to the bolts is a bit tight. The rear was much more difficult. While I was taking things off I replaced some other aging items as well. The only reason I did mine was because I had the alternator off already and that was half the work getting the header on/off in the rear.

Maybe I did too much but I took the y pipe off, the axle and half shaft out, the alt out and the brackets for each, with a long long extension and an air wrench I got the manifolds off and back on. I went up an over the cross member to get to them. I did not see any other way to get to the bolts on my ATX.

Note: I also had the spindle/hub off for new bearings, the oil pan off for upgrade to the escape pan and the lower control arm off for a new ball joint.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill take your word for it DanG. Well, ill probably go ahead and get the headers, but just wait until some extra cash rolls around to put them on. which means I might be making a trip to northern VA in the future. THanks for all the info.

·
Registered
411 Posts
meinke quoted me like 425

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a couple garages to check out, but ill most likely take it to DanG by the end of the summer, provided I don't lose my job as a life guard. but thanks for all the quotes and help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts