New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so my girlfriend was sitting around the other day complaining about how ugly her orange corner lenses are. Being my cheap self, I didn't wanna go spend $400 on new euro lights just because they have a clear corner lens. She's probably going to get angry that I posted this because she wanted to be original, but I thought there might be some people out there that like this idea. Did I mention purple? You should see that in the pics. Anyway, I came up with a solution to the corner lens problem. To me, it always looked funny when people just took them out and painted the plastic piece inside, because it looks like there should be something there. Sorry I had no before pics, but just take a look at your own stock headlights. Also, this requires taking apart the headlight assembly, as in when you painted (or are going to paint) the plastic insert. I saw a howto on taking them apart, so just search for it, I dont wanna retype it. It would be best if you just killed two birds with one stone, painted the plastic insert and what I'm about to show you to save you time. If you've already taken them apart, tough luck I guess (unless you dont like this, :). Anyway, here's what you're gonna need to do this:
-Masking Tape
-Materials reqd. for headlight dissasembly asked for in other howto
-Glass/Plastic Paint (I bought this for my girlfriend at my local Honda Import Store, it cost me 20 dollars and I can't read a word on the bottle since I'm not Japanese. I suppose you could also use tint paint, or that stuff you use to smoke glass)
-Degreaser/Goo Gone
-Windex
-Old Newspaper

Ok, so now on to the howto:

1) Before taking apart your headlights, take about five relatively small pieces of masking tape and mark as best as you can the curve of the orange reflector on the outside as it sits in your stock assembly.
2) Take apart your headlights and remove the reflector.
3) Clean THOROUGHLY (first with goo gone because some of that silicone stuff always gets on the inside, and then with windex) the inside plastic of your headlight. I can't stress this enough. Plastic paint/tint paint is very sensitive to dirt and dust and if there is any at all on the inside you will get little clear specs where the paint won't adhere around the dust.
4) Take another five pieces of masking tape and follow your tape from the outside on the inside. Now you should have a line where the paint will stop.
5)Tape everything else off with newspaper. Make sure you cover everything, I missed a spot on the first headlight and had to go out and buy paint thinner.
6) Clean with windex one more time just to make sure.
7) Spray a light coat of the paint onto the plastic.
8) Wait at least 30 minutes for it to dry. This stuff takes forever.
9) Spray another light coat, make sure to get all the corners.
10) Wait an hour for it to dry. This stuff is really easy to smear, even when dry.
11) Untape everything and put the headlights back togehter. Enjoy!

note: If you paint and on the first coat notice those little clear spots, its not that huge a deal, just spray windex on and wipe everything off. It comes off easily when wet, just make sure to get it all out or it will be uneven. Also, I used the rest of the paint to make two unpainted turn bulbs purple. It wasn't as dark as she would have liked, but it still looks cool.

Hope you guys like this! Check out the pics to see what it will look like afterwards, although I doubt anybody will be using purple. :) PM me if you have any questions. :biggrin:

EDIT: I had to use purple bulb parking lights cuz the white was showing through the sides and made the purple turn signal look orangy. So you probably want to get a colored parking bulb to match.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Cool man! I was thinking about doing the same thing using that spray tint stuff, however I wasn't sure if the orange would come through too much, but yours seems to have turned out good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great! Keep us posted as to whether the cops hate that or not, i.e. if you get pulled for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's been driving around with those headlights for about a week now and no problems so far! :) I hope I didn't just jinx that. It could be because they are painted purple. I remember reading from another post that cops are more lenient on purple and green because they dont 'emulate' EMT vehicles. I'm sure if I'd used blue paint she'd have gotten three tickets already. I'm glad you guys like the mod tho, thanks for the support! :biggrin: If anybody else decides to do this, post your results! I wanna see how it turns out for other people as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to clear up, since there seems to have been some confusion, I completely took out the orange reflectors. There are no reflectors in the headlights now. I painted the actual plastic cover of the headlamps on the inside. So whatever color you paint the plastic is the color light that will show through. any other questions, just PM me!:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
just an FYI Glass Paint fades..... I experimented with Glass Paint about 3 months ago and I did a mod very simular to my car that I never posted about... turned out great and I too painted my headlight parking/blinking light bulbs... those faded super hella fast -- the other things that I painted are starting to fade as well...

·
Registered
892 Posts
it looks good but i have a silver car and i'm going for an all silver look. i wonder how it would look i just painted the glass with silverish tinted paint.

also, when other people painted the headlights (the plastic inserts not the glass) silver, what shade did u use? i don't want to paint it a shade of silver that will look awkward.
thanx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that sometimes the paint on light bulbs fades after awhile. Thats because you cycle their heat by turning on the lights and then turning them off. However, if you get a good quality paint, it should last you at least six months on a bulb. As for the painted plastic, same rule applies. However, since the outside is exposed to fresh cold air all the time, it never gets particularly hot (at least not in that corner). I've painted other things on my old car with glass paint, I sometimes experienced bulb fade, but never had any problems with the actual glass I painted fading. Maybe I just got lucky? ;)

Bayeri - take a look at the headlight dissasembly how to. I forgot who wrote it, but remember that his car was silver and he painted the headlight inserts silver. They looked really cool! just figure out who it was and PM him. As for painting the glass tint, I still think that would look awesome. Tint really goes with any color scheme, since it isn't really a 'color', and it would really separate you from the crowd. post pics either way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts