New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, I put my little ***** in a corn field. I was tooling down the windy country road as usual about 90 mph. I came up on one of the 35 mph curves that can easily be taken at 75 in my cat. Well about mid way through the turn my *****'s front paw blew out and I was sent spinning. Off the road I went, through the rain ditch and into a corn field. When my cat finally came to a halt, there was mud, and baby corn plants all over her. I assessed the damage as I was calling for a tow truck. Luckily and thankfully the only damage was to the tire. The tow truck pulled me out of the field, I put the spare on and away I went. The funny thing is, I had an appointment for Monday to have my Toyo T1-S's put on. Guess it will happen sooner than I thought. I called my shop and they can squeeze me in this afternoon.

One question for all you tire Guru's, How many miles can I drive on the spare? I know not to exceed 50 mph with it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
damn...was it the stock tires that blew? yikes...glad i got rid of those a year ago before doing any crazy driving....

anyone have good 225/40 tires to suggest? I am using Yokohama Paradas and might look for something new towards the end of the year maybe...

Nikolas

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a Toyo FZ4 that blew. It was old, about 40k on the tire. I guess it was to be expected, just not right before I go to get the new ones put on. It never fails though, make an appointment to get something fixed or looked at and 2 days before your appointment it quits on you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Glad you're ok. Just curious, what size T1-S are you getting? I got 225/50/16s a month ago, and they feel kinda squirmy compared to the original BFG VR4s....though for some reason, the car feels more balanced now. Just saying, if you have a choice, you might go with a lower profile than 50.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
i would definitely go with a lower profile than 50...
not only will the car sit a tad lower but lower profile tires look much cooler!
i definitely need some 40-profile tires on my zn! the 215/50x17's just look ridiculous! (and make the car sit nearly a half inch higher than regular 16" wheel cougs)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was at the Wheel Source in Dayton last night getting my new tires. The tire tech came to me in the waiting area to say they broke one of my stock rims. Now how in the hell do you "Break" a rim. Well after much arguing and a little cussing, I got new 17x7 rims with new FZ4 235/40 17's. They look good, cost me after all the arguing and yelling $700 bones for tires and rims. I don't have a digital camera at home, but when I get back to work on tuesday I will post a pic of them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Very nice! Does the handling feel any different?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not very much, but a little bit. The road bumps seem a little rougher, but all in all the corners seem to hold better, with the wider tire and all. I was planning on new rims this winter, but now is a good time, especially at the price. seeing as how I was going to lay down 650 for the Toyo T1-S's alone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.