New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
thats just asking to get pulled over and sent to jail for officer impersonation. if they ever caught on to that, your ass would be screwed.

not to mention they restrict the sale of them to police/fire/and rescue stations. making it very hard to get a hold of one without being a police officer or department.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Also, the setup behind these devices in some locations turns all lights RED, not green (your street, and cross streets). Thus, all traffic stops, and only emergency vehicles can blow through the reds. This isn't going to help you in that case.

Massiv.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
oh.. you deserve a much harsher flaming then what you've received. dumb idea kid, notice your title 'cop traffic light changer'.. not 'civilian'.. just wait the damn light out and stop always being in such a damn rush

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
It says specifically in that ad "Restricted Sales Item".

"Some dealers of the MIRT device will use the list given by FAC as authorized end users, but Southern Search & Rescue, Inc. will not. As a 1st responder/fire fighting organization, we are committed to safety. We utilize the following list as to who we consider an authorized end user.

We require that you provide your department or affiliate information at the time of order and will confirm this information before your order will be completed. Anyone that provide false information or states that they are something, that they are not, we will reject the order and contact the local authorities.

If you are not authorized to own and operate one of these devices, do not waste our time or yours. For proper authorization to be considered valid, it must be issued on a departmental letterhead. This rules applies to everyone. No Exceptions Will Be Made. If you can not provide an official authorization, your order will not be processed. Please, don't send us an email or call us and say that you can not provide an official authorization on departmental letterhead, because it's a security risk or something like that. This device can create a security risk and we will use all means to prevent that. This rule is for all orders, including state and federal agencies."

Now some things that are "police only" I don't mind people buying (i.e. strobes, as long as you use it at shows only; that kind of thing), but this is something that YOU DON'T NEED!!

C'mon, wait the extra 45 seconds and wait for the damn green light....

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
These are simply a strobe that operates at a specified requency which triggers a sensor on the traffic light, the downside, 75% of the traffic lights... arent equiped with this technology, hence why EVERY patrol car/ emergency isnt equipped with them...

·
Registered
223 Posts
ice is correct, its a normal stobe light but with an infra red filter so it blocks everything except infra red. it pulses at either 10 or 12 hz. it changes the lights green for you so that when cops are chasing someone the light will be green and there is less of a chance of someone getting t-boned. but you cant just buy them, you ahve to have a police or special clearance in order to purchase them here in the US. you can possibly buy one out of the country. or just make your own with a stobe light and infra red filter

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
cops/emergency vehicles blow through red lights anyway :confused:

Mike
Im a firefighter here and PA and we DONT BLOW RED LIGHTS! Bylaw no one can, we and even Police have to break before to make sure the intersection is open. Police blow lights all the time though... LOL

That device you found is called Preemption. VERY ILLEGAL for you to own and will not help you in anyway. Its a tool we use on our fire trucks so as we are coming up on a traffic light is can be green making the light do most of the work to "stop" the cars before we hit the intersection.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts

Originally posted by: ice992
These are simply a strobe that operates at a specified requency which triggers a sensor on the traffic light, the downside, 75% of the traffic lights... arent equiped with this technology, hence why EVERY patrol car/ emergency isnt equipped with them...
you are correct. Most cities and suburb type areas have these systems installed. It is nothing more than a strobe light operating at a higher than normal flash cycle. The exact flash timing is easy to find [search for it]. At my old work, one of my co-workers made one [keep in mind that this was a roadway design firm so this is the type of equipement we worked with and it was a great device to have around to test intersections before they were reopened to the public].

I know some areas are starting to switch to a more advanced light changer system [but I know absolutely nothing about it].

As much fun as these things are to play around with, the legal trouble you can get into using this stuff is on par with rape, so I would think really hard before you buy one.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I think its pretty cool, I wouldnt pay that much for it. And i highly doubt you would get caught with it, it doesnt omit a light so unless you drill it into your hood i dont know why a cop would even check to see if you had it. It could be funny keeping all the lights red and pissing people off.

I love all you "thats so illegal" people. Im willing to bet at least have of you have some illegal light on your car, or have drank a beer and drove or did 35 in a 25, or rolled a stop sign, or have done one of a million other illegal things you can do in a car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok....so i wont try to get one. Calm down tho. No need to flip out on me over a question! Thanks for answers though.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
The fine in my state for use of a police type strobe while moving is $1000 per flash. You do the math.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: mond12345
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
cops/emergency vehicles blow through red lights anyway :confused:

Mike
Police blow lights all the time though... LOL
this is true. Just tonight I watched a cop go through a red light, however, he turned his lights on for about 2 seconds while he rode through it, then turned them off. I guess it's some kind of law for them where they have to put their lights on when hurrying through lights to DD.

Mike

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Now if i saw that, i would of reported him!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
The fine in my state for use of a police type strobe while moving is $1000 per flash. You do the math.
But this one says there is no visible light. Thats why im saying it would be next to impossible to get caught with it. What are they gonna do, block off the intersection and go over every car sitting there with a fine tooth comb until they find it? They will be there for days because cars will keep pulling up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.