New Cougar Forum banner

Cooper tires??? opinions please...

846 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MrFroge 
#1 ·
Hello
I have a 2001 v6...I am needing new tires very soon. the front tires are already almost bald, even though i only have like 28k miles on my car. the cougs came with the BFG's, but my dad doesnt want to put them on again b/c they didn't last long. He went to this place and found "Cooper" tires to fit my car. What does everyone think about them? I've never heard of Cooper tires, and I don't want to put sh!t tires on my car. Of course the peeps selling them will say that they are good tires, but I want opinions off of the boards. I need an all-season tire that will perform well in either condition, but probably not the price of Pirellis or something like that. Thanks all!!

#2 ·
Cooper is a well-known name brand, if that's what you're worried about.

If you want a tire that'll last longer, just get one that has a higher number for treadwear. Keep in mind that the higher the number the harder the tire will be and the less it will "stick" to the road.

#3 ·
Cooper tires have been around a long time. However if you let your dad and the tire guy pick them out your gonna get a "touring" tire. It'll feel good and last a long time but not much for performance.

Honestly the Firestones that came stock with my car handle great. I have yet to hear them squeal in a corner, and I corner hard. Did ok last winter. and that's saying something for a tire that is a little more agressive than a regular "stock" tire.

Cooper Tires

#4 ·
i dont really need a super-high performance tire...just something that will last a long time and not be as crappy as the BFG's. seriously they didnt last a long time at all. but coopers are alright? they do have a 50,000mile guarantee.... ok. :)

#7 ·
My brother in law is a cooper dealer, the tires wear well, I've never had them on my car, but I've had the cobras on my van and my last truck. Overall the coopers are a good brand.. personally wouldn't put them on my car, now that I've seen different options. as for the BFG VR4 that came on the car, they were adaquate, compared to the opinions of the firestones that also came with it. If you go with the cobra or the new Cooper ZEON tire you'll be satisfied.

G
#8 ·
I've always had bad luck with Cooper tires. I had them on two of my past vehicles and they didn't last long at all relative to other tires I've had. One went flat after about 10,000 miles - I didn't run over anything, the tire was installed properly and was the correct size, but it just went flat. And I take good care of my tires - timely rotations, weekly tire pressure checks and corrections. Never another Cooper tire for me. :thumbsdn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.