New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed that my engine gets real hot real quick. Ive had a short ram intake for over 2 years now so its not the problem. I got a fresh oil change and a Kaminari Hood. Im not positive but I think my fan is not coming on. I have checked the fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment and its ok. How do I check for sure if that the problem or could it be something else. Like I said I just notice that it heats up quick and first thought was fan. It may be coming on but im not sure. It could be something else but im not sure. I got 78k Miles. Any other suggestions or tips? Any help is appreciated. Thank You

When does the fan kick in or is there a way to test it ? Could it be the radiator? I have the tank filled with water. One thing I did notice is that after 20 min of running I opened the plastic water tank on the passenger side and it was HOT! I dont know what it could be?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The fans should kick on at 216 and 226. Just bring up the digital temp and wait for the fans to kick on. If the hood is open than it might be easier to hear....

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
Isn't there a relay in the underhood fuse box?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yes

Number: R9

Dark Green

Engine Cooling Fans Relay

Its in the engine bay fuse box....

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
You could have your coolant tested ... or you could just do a flush with fresh coolant mix...

IF lets say you had your oil changed some where and they toped off your coolant with the green stuff ... you could have jello in your radiator.

Or you could have a bad therostat. wouldnt make it heat up FAST just wouldnt cool properly.

But id only do that if you just want to or you know your fans are working correctly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just checkin around, and could it be that not too long ago I added some antifreeze with some water to the car b/c it was slightly low? I read that you are supposed to use a special kind of coolant? Is this true?

·
8,637 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarRida
I was just checkin around, and could it be that not too long ago I added some antifreeze with some water to the car b/c it was slightly low? I read that you are supposed to use a special kind of coolant? Is this true?
If you mixed the green coolant with the orange coolant our cars come with, that's bad.

It's not special in the sense that it's rare (GMs have been using it for a LONG time), but it's special in the sense that it's not the green coolant that was used for many years, and it's not compatible with that green coolant.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Depends on how much was added .... if he just toped off... not a big deal. But ive seen a blown engine where the radiator had ZERO flow due to a complete coagulation of all coolant. This was worse case scenario pretty much a 50 / 50 mix among the coolant orange / green. Odds are he just has a small amount of thick viscous fluid in his system. But if it were me id flush it.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
If i remember correctly one way to test and see if your fans are working is to turn on your A/C. I think that when you turn your A/C on it automatically turns both fans on. Can somebody verify this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.