New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 & lately the coolant lite comes on. It always did when I start-up, then goes out. Sometimes it stays on, other times it stays off. Sometimes it just 'comes-on' after driving 5-10 miles. Originally, I thought this was the battery-lite, cause it looks like a D-Cell battery. Well, after checking the manual - it is the coolant level indicator lite. Anybody have this problem before? I'm pretty mechanically challenged, but of course the dealer wants $80. to 'look' @ the problem. Thanx gang - I feel twice-blessed now that I found you!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You have two options.

1) The correct fix: Replace your coolant bottle. Some people think it's the sensor that fails, when in fact it is not. The sensor fits up into a built in tube at the bottom of the tank. Inside the tank, there is a ring that fits around the tube, so the sensor reads where theh ring is floating inside the tank. What happens is the ring gets stuck in a low position, thus giving the sensor a false "low level" reading. You could also drain come coolant, remove the bottle and do the "fill, shake, empty, fill, shake, empty" method of flushing the take clean.

2) The easiest fix: Unplug the connector going to the sensor, cut the two wires, splice them together. This will forever "fix" the light...but you will have no warning of low coolant. This is the fix that I did, because quite frankly I watch my engine temp gauge, and open my hood frequently enough to not worry about having a dummy light telling me of my coolant level.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
You didn't say if your level was up to par, I know if I park on a slight incline, it comes on... but I put a little more coolant in.. and no problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts