New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a flea market hunter and had a good profitable summer which included buying a $10 supercharger just cause the thing looked cool, turned out to be a gm front drive SC from a Grand Prix or the sort, but turned it around the same afternoon for $100 even though it was in need of a rebuild. Had quite a few really good finds in my specialty area which is vintage toys, matchbox, hot wheels, etc.... I turn them around on Ebay and have a pretty sizeable collection at this point. But sometimes I buy stuff that I don't necessarily look for. Today I saw this cardboard cutout and the guy wanted $30 so I forked it over. Turns out to be a 1980 record store display cardboard cutout about 39 inches tall. and it's double sided. Jeff Beck There and Back Album. I haven't been able to find one other photo online of this display anwhere, and in my experience lately, I find even the most obscure stuff for toys eventually, but haven't seen this one yet anywhere. Anyone else here a flea market hunter? Been doing it for 20 years now and have some cool finds. I'll take some pics this afternoon of some of the treasures. I very rarely pay what something is worth, but always make sure I can resell it and not lose money.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That is pretty cool! Congrats on the nice find.
I would be tempted to figure out how to get him to sign it.

I once had a roommate who was an auction hunter. I went with him a few times and I can definitely see the possibilities.
Unfortunately, my roommate was not as good at it as he thought he was...He mostly just had a barn full of junk that nobody wanted, and even when he did sell things, it was rarely enough profit to justify the time invested.

In my very amateur opinion, I think the goal in junking needs to be to continuously reinvest any earnings to build up to the higher value items. Higher risk=higher reward. Every once in a while someone stumbles into a dramatically undervalued item and makes a killing, but its a bad idea to hold your breathe waiting for that unicorn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts