New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am currently the proud owner of a 1998 Contour SE V6, and I am looking to replace it. I bought it used a year ago, and due to the fact that Ford killed the Contour, these cars are depreciating at a rediculous rate and I am looking to dump the 'Tour for something else (I currently owe a little more than it's worth, and it's only going to get worse).

I love the Cougar, and the refinements for 2001. I am going to the dealer to discuss the numbers tomorrow. My only problem with this is that I know that the Cougar is scheduled for execution in 2004 and I don't want to get stuck in the same position of having to pay just to trade in my car, or barely get anything for it unless my 60 months is up.

I, for better or worse, am of a 'Ford family'--I would rather bike than buy a GM or Chrysler, and the Cougar is the only domestic model that I am considering. The only other major contender is an Accord coupe. It is in the same price range, and while I probably am not looking at getting a V6 in the 20K range, after a year an Accord is worth 15k while a Cat is worth 12k after both started at an MSRP of 19k.

Please don't just bash me for looking at a Honda. I am a member of the CEG http://contour.org , and I feel that we have the best domestic platform on the market right now. I almost bought a Civic Si and am very glad that I didn't. I am just being overwhelmed by the sheer practicality of not getting totally screwed again if I need to get rid of the Cougar. I do plan to keep whatever I buy for 5 years, but things change--I thought the same thing about the contour.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're dumping the contour because it's being discontinued, buying a Cougar which will be discontinued in 2003 would just be repeating the same thing.
If you're that concerned about the resale value of your car, the only cars to consider in the same class ARE the Imports like the Accord.
And if you're buying the car used, and concerned about resale, the Cougar is definitely out. If you can pick one up used, go for it. It's like a better looking, more sporty Contour...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunmetal--
It's not 100% resale, I am just wary of FoMoCo at this point. Accords are bland jackass-mobiles and I would rather not buy one. Depreciation is one thing, 50% in 18 months is another.

I read some posts regarding the continuation of the Cougar program. I tend to believe BON in these matters, but if anybody else has verifiable info about a post-2003 program for the Cougar nameplate and/or platform, I'm all ears. That's the kind of thing that will change my mind.

Jason

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Pros

AWESOME styling
low price
fun to drive

Cons

Doesn't take mods that well
not the quickest car in the world
not all that comfortable
ford reliability

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well, I wouldn't exactly say Ford reliability as this is but a fraction of the owners of All of the Cougars built and I have not had any problems. In my opinion that is more luck of the draw, attempted mods, and daily driving. Don't get me wrong, I think I drive my car hard. However, everyones definition of hard is different. I love the styleing and I for one think its comfertable. I took a trip from Houston, Tx. to SC in it and drove stright through both ways. Felt good to me. Very fun to drive and easy to feel the road while driving. I for one fell in love with the styleing and handling. Still happy after two years!! Good luck on what ever you buy!!

Just go and test drive one, and you need to get a stick...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would suggest going out and buying a used cougar if resale value is your concern. Go out and buy a used Cougar for around 16K (easily done and you can get them in very nice condition for the money). Then your resale value will not drop as rapidly. Realistically the drop in reasale value is more dramatic in the first year and have seemed to level out at around $13000 trade in and $15/$16000 for direct sale. After the first year drop the decline in value should be much more gradual, you have to figure the cougar has already been hit in used value because it has been known for almost a year now that 2003 was the last yeer for the cougar. This should address your concerns for that, and now for some other factors. The reliability of our cars really is very good for most owners, I have asked my service manager how many cougars they see coming in for problems and he has told me that they are a very low percentage of his business and most of them are either minor engine or minor cosmetic problems, I for one believe him because he has been very upfront and fair with me on all of my dealings (I have been very picky about some really small imperfections on my cougar). My service guy also doesn't mind mods. You should already have a good idea of the power of the cougar from your present car (pretty good in my opinion, not the fastest, but it's a sport compact, it wasn't meant to blow the doors off a Mustang, Camaro & etc.). The styling is very nice and comfort is great (I do have the leather seats and they have been known to be more comforteable than the cloth). The car is an attention getter, you will draw looks and stares all of the time (I love this part of owning one). I've also seen cougars with a lot of mods (cosmetic/performance/stereo) selling used for around $16,000 if you buy direct from an owner and not a dealer. If you like a car that takes turns like it is on a rail then the cougar definitely fits that description. Also I believe that if Ford does decide to put the 2.5L Duratec into the Focus as has been considered the aftermarket for performance parts on the Duratec will EXPLODE since the Focus has been turning into a favorite of the aftermarket industry. In conclusion only about 50,000 were made in 1999, about 45,000 in 2000, so if this continues there will be less than 250,000 of these cars on the road in the US, Canada and Europe so you will not be driving a car that is everywhere. A side note to that last statement, you still wont have a hard time finding parts since the car is about 80% a contour and there were plenty of contours produced to avoid that problem 15/20 years down the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How bout this, if you have modded your contour, you can reuse the mods on the cougar and save that money.

·
Registered
161 Posts
you can get a cougar for less than 19k (= and you'll have a V6! trust me..I looked around..a hooked up coug with a mtx, if you look hard enuf you can find for 19k..and thats with leather..cd changer..vs the accord that'll have..uh..well..a 4cyl that puts out the same hp as a civic ex..and a cd player (=

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.