New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there going to be any discussion between some of the more IT knowledged members for what the best setup we can get for $2000 is? I want to make sure that you are going to get what is best for us. Do you have ideas on what you think will make the board faster? Is the server going to allow us to upload pictures and videos to it? I think that is a must in this day and age. I know that when i get my camera this summer, I am gonna have TONS of videos and pics to share with everyone else, and i think that our server should accomodate that.

You only have a few thing you need to spend the money on: CPU(s), RAM, and HDD(s). We need to make it as fast and as robust as possible to support our growing needs.

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Unfortunately, Message Boards are CPU and Database intensive. So, we basically need the best that our money can buy. I was thinking Dual PIII 750's with 512+Mb RAM and 7200+RPM 30+Gb HD. With the new system being independent from my work machine, I plan on reinstating post attachments with a larger file size being supported. Also, I will reinstate images.fastcougar.com so that people will have image/video hosting supported.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hey, I have 3 36gig 10,000rmp IBM 160mb/s scsi drives sitting in my drawer here not being used, plus a bunch of Mylex and DPT controllers we aren't using. (All of which are new) I wonder if my boss would hook us up on some of it.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
when you start getting into the dual processor boards getting discounts is hard.... now that we know that... i have a POS 14" monitor that i will GIVE to the board... shipping may be a little but hey it's a gift.... i think i also have a NIC card i wouldn't mind giving away either (gotta dig to find it first - if i still do have it).... i also have a few extra 3 button mouses that the board can have.... i know these aren't big pieces but add them up and you've got like almost 100$ worth of merchandise

now as for config... i say 512 ram, also for the price of HDs nowadays might as well get a 40 or 60GB drive.... then we need just a basic video card (i'm sure someone has one sitting around somewhere).... then with the rest of the money we get the best dual processor board we can afford... we don't need a mega tower case, i think i have a basic CD-ROM - if not someone should have one... and a 300watt power supply.... i'm not sure how a dual pentium is on power but i think 300watt should be fine.... also i get good deals at insight.com, i'll have to dig it up but i get so much off the retail price there.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah, I get cost at Insight.com, so if you guys want to buy anything, let me know. Also, I have a bunch of the essentials that just sit around if needed. One thing you may be interested in for this computer is a Load Balancing NIC. I have a dual Intel NIC around here somewhere that is just wasting away sitting here. It's out of a 1 year old server that we have just parted. Also many other things. Another FYI, I get a very healthy discount from DELL, Bought a 6400 last week (quad xeon), 2gig ram, 2 9gig and 3 18gigs for under 13,000. So that may be an option. The Power edge 1300's are about $4000 fully loaded with a dual 1gig pIII's.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ok, just looked up my cost on a dual 800 512mb dual 7200rpm 40 gig drives, load balancing NIC, 3 year parts and labor next day, Win2k Server total $1900 shipped.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
jjennings ... $1900 sounds good ... pencil us in! Now, everyone else just sell everything on eBay that you would ontherwise donate and then donate the eBay proceeds to the server fund

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that Dell server sounds really good for the $$$$$ just what we need. 80GB of storage should be more than enough, and the dual CPUs will help alot with the speed of the board.... We already have one of the best message boards out there of any car club as far as functionality, ease of use and adaptability goes...now we just need a kick ass computer to put it on along with the images/video portion....

sounds like we are heading in the right direction....

Nikolas

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would be more than happy to set it up. Just keep me informed of what you want, and when!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
How upgradable is this motherboard? What is the MAX amount of RAM, how many slots? Also, what is the maximum processor speed supported ... upgradable to Dual 1.x Ghz?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'll have a full official quote from Dell tommorow, I'll email it to you. But it's the same server I installed in Charllote a month ago. It can handle up to 1gig of RAM and dual 1 gig processors (I think that is the highest that synchronious proccesors will go right now) but I'm sure that the board will be able to handle any PIII. Slots, are you reffering to PCI slots? I think it had 5 one shared with a ISA. How upgradeable is the actual board. You are gonna have to take in consideration that the P4 are a total different architecture, and I believe that the P3 has reached it's limits, but I can almost gaurentee that it can handle whatever a P3 can dish out at it. There is also an option to add a SCSI controller for like $200, an option for a tape backup.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
So, would we be better off getting Dual P4's? If so, how much would that cost? If within reason, I don't see why we shouldn't just get the slowest Dual P4 system with the option to upgrade later.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Dual P4's are not an option yet, and are looking like they will cost about 20,000 for a base server. If you want something that you'll never have to worry about, I'll price a Dual Xeon, and you can live in peace and harmony!

·
Registered
972 Posts
True, the prices will drop by then. Ok, Xeon specs, Dual 933's 512mb ram (can handle 4 gigs) 73gig 10000rpm 160mb/s hd etc, etc, etc, etc is about $5500 shipped right now, but this server has 8 hot swapable hd bays, a bad ass scsi controller (we just bought one, paid about 18k for it, it is one hell of a server) You really can't buy new Xeon machines that aren't tanks, but I will put a bug in someone's ear to see what he can find for us.

PS, 3 400watt power supplies are required to run this machine!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.