New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermitten Ticking (Lifters?)

Ok so long story short I think I am [censored]ed (lifter tick?) and need a new engine or to rebuild mine.

Long story long, I am driving home from work today when my car starts and intermitten ticking seems to me bore ga petal pressure related than RPM or anything like that (does tick faster at higher RPM's but if you get there slow or mash it down it doesn't tick so much). So I quickly bring it into get an oil change for starters to see what is going on in there.. they pull the dip stick and tell em there is no oil on it at all.. (I'm like WTF Mate?, since my car never leaves ANY oil spots anywhere and I am not blow a massive amount of nasty smoke out my pipe. The guy tries to claim the oil is brunign up and turning into carbin buildup in my exhaust . but well that is about wrong).so they finish up the change and i get my car back.. take it back out on the road.. intermitten tick still there... I am going to get under it tomorrow to see if there is ANYTHING I can see to figure out if this is forsure the dreaded lifter tick that i think it may be. P.S. the noise sounds about like if you put a card in the spokes of yoru bicycle, but fairly loud sometimes (louder than most engine ticking i have ever heard). and the oil cahnge wasn't over due by any more than like 200 miles and i use synthetic so that is undue for them according to many...

Anyone have a similiar issue, thought possibly busted motormount causing a ticking against somethign but that seems about as likely as me [censored]ting out a carrot cake.

Otherwise any ideas to try to clean the inards up and get ri d of this? or am i basically stuck with having to at least pull the top end apart and replace lifters if that is infact what it turns out to be? Thought about tyring a nice detergant oil or some seafoam or something.. I just don't have the cash to spend on this as I am preparing to buy a winter beater possibly and can't really do both right now... (given i could buy the winter beater then build a 3.0 but that is not optimal as I only have 84k miles and woudl like to have put off an engine swap until like 120k)

Also anyone knwo if you can access the lifters (ie remove cams) wihtout removing the engine from the car?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
RE:Intermitten Ticking (Lifters?)

Many people have HLA tap (our V6s do not have lifters). This is unfortunately a common problem in higher mileage Duratecs- If a lifter collapses (through oil starvation or just plain failure), it may not re-inflate, and you'll have slack in your valve train. Not particularly detrimental, just annoying.

HOWEVER- Get the source of your oil consumption checked out immediately- If there was no oil on the dipstick, you may have run the bearings dry at some point (especially during high RPM driving) and that's not HLA tap, it's a rod knock. In which case yes, you're stuck with tearing the bottom end down and replacing bearings (at least) or more.

·
Banned
5,184 Posts

Yeah you can inspect the HLA's easy enough, but you have to remove the UIM the pull the cam covers off. It's pretty easy, I am more than happy to give you a hand. This weeknd is no good( I have my daughter) but any time after that I can help out.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thankx for the info Dan, I plan to try dropping the car off at a mechanice for a diagonstic and see what they come up wiht beign the cause... the i guess I go from there...

Jrak, may have to take you up on that one..

Overall from reading through Contour.org and things here looks like a nice full 3.0 swap might be in my semi immediate future...

·
Registered
421 Posts
RE: Intermitten Ticking (Lifters?)

Hey let me know what happens with this. I've had similar symptoms for about 14 months now, with no real problems. If you fix it, let me know how. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

In the shop as we speak.. shoudl know tomorrow before noon (about when i will be waking up) what is wrong with it,,,

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

mother [censored]ing spun bearing

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

Can they salvage the crank by polishing that particular cylinder? Usually oversized bearings can take up the slack of the spin damage...

Sorry to hear... :beer:

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Originally posted by: DanG
Can they salvage the crank by polishing that particular cylinder? Usually oversized bearings can take up the slack of the spin damage...

Sorry to hear... :beer:
planning to try to tow it across the state ASAP to my parents house to tear it apart.. I really don't have the cash for a swap right now so I think I may look into just pulling the engine and tearing it down to have someone work on the crank...

·
Banned
5,184 Posts

Back to town, is that Auburns hills town or the west side of the state? I can't remember whice you reside at. If the car is on the east side I am more than willing to help out. I may even have a crank you can swap out to speed things up.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

towed to holland is the plan now as i living in auburn hils and don't have a garage to use to do this work.. (sucks I knwo i coudl whip it out alot faster if I had garage space here since it wont' be done till I can get weekend time in holland to do the work...

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update/Question:

Ok so I had to start my car today (to move it about 200 feet to the garage of my girlfriends apartment one building over so it is out of the sun and protected somewhat) after sitting for about just over a weeka nd only being starte d once for like 1 minute os Jrak could listen to it when he was here last monday. Now when I started it today there was a very noticable high pitched whine from the engine, sound normal? It also took a bit to get it to turn over but I blame that on sitting for 6 days without being touched at all...

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i had the similiar sound this morning on my way to work this morning, i thought it was the wonderful clutch chatter from the spec setup but pushed the clutch in and sound coming from the motor. I have ~83K miles on the motor. I am just going to have to park the car , order the low mileage 3L i have been eyeing and swap it over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.