New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 coog. I noticed condensation a couple of days ago. I've never had a problem with condensation before.

I checked it out and even took out the headlight to look it over more thoroughly, but everything seems fine. I've never opened them. The only thing i've done was replace the headlight bulbs, but that was several months ago.

Also my passenger side smoked sidemarker has the same problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this???

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As far as the headlights...take a drill bit(1/2" or something pretty big) and drill a couple holes in the plastic flap that covers the back of the light.(you know....the flap you took off to replace the bulbs) Or you could have left the flap loose...try that first. I have the same lights and have never had condensation.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
The 99-00 lights have buit in vents... I would think possibly the 01-02 have them as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, anything else I should try for the headlights?

And what about the sidemarker? It has the little rubber grommet? Do you think it's possible I could've gotten two sidemarkers from the same side, or would that even matter?

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have a 99, and began getting condensation in one headlight a couple of weeks ago also :( I have never replaced the bulbs.

A

·
0 Posts
If your car is still under the 3yr/36k warranty (should be as an 02!), take it to Merc. I did when the same thing happened to me, and I got a brand new headlight out of it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, I was thinkin about doing that. You don't think they'll trip because I don't have the stock headlights in there anymore?

I think this dealership might do anything in their power to avoid doing any work they don't have to.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If you don't have the original headlight bulbs in there, put them back in! Simple as that - they can't deny a claim if everything looks normal (or at least give them less of a reason to deny you). Condensation in the sidemarkers isn't anything significant - I've had condensation in both of mine since I installed them. Only think you can do is pop them back out and seal around where the bulb and the housing come together. That is where they seem to take air from.

Condensation in headlights... either take the backs off, or take a trip to the dealership :biggrin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay thanks. I would obviously put the stockies back in there. Damn IT! now I really have to align my headlights.

I think all you need is an allen wrench right?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: carajo
I have a 99, and began getting condensation in one headlight a couple of weeks ago also :( I have never replaced the bulbs.
The 99's had a small rubber boot that attached to the plastic vent pipe. I lost one after some work on one of my headlights and got condensation in the assembly.. replaced the rubber boot and the condensation went away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts