New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tested their car before and after installing the 75mm MAF from SPMotorsports? I want to upgrade to his, but not if it isnt gonna do anything for me. Do I also have to upgrade the Throttle Body to see any difference. To warrant the $250 price for the MAF, it would have to shave .2-.3 off my 1/4 mile times...if i have to be the guinnea pig for this, then i guess i will have to be......i assume having the bigger MAF will be a plus after i get my cylinder heads worked, the intake manifold extrude honed, and the SVT TB.... but will it help all by its lonesome?????????????

Nikolas

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
doubt it... you'll need in the least the TB also.... then maybe together they may help

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
eric from illinois has the maf...

i have kkm and borla carbon fiber.. he has weaponr, maf, borla carbon fiber... he was getting 15.5's and i was getting consistent 15.8's

he has a CEL.

we had similar launches and shift points.. both using 16" wheels

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have the folowing installed now as of today

SCA Intake
ProFlow 75 mm MAF
SVT Throttlebody
Extrudehoned Upper Manifold
asp underdrive pulley
2.25" exhaust back to 2 arospeed dragger style mufflers

i did not drive it since installing the new stuff but did let the car idle for about 25 mins or so and revved it hard and did not trip a cel so far.

I will let you guys know if i see any improvement when i take it out tomorrow morning

I have a feeling to get the most out of these i will need to wait until i have the msds headers, y pipe, and catco hiflow cat installed

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
BTW, Craig now has my intake stuff

Craig ... you will notice a difference! As for the CEL, I have had this Pro-Flow for about 1 year without ANY problems. Nada, zippo, zilch, No problems! Those that had problems where miscalibrated by Pro-Flow for some reason ... mine was calibrated for a 1999 Contour, not a Cougar ... I think I was one of their first customers with a Cougar.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Do you need to do any tuning to get the MAF to work right, or is it just install, and drive?

·
Registered
120 Posts
get the maff when your done with most of your mods. I have it and love just dont run a very hot plug you will burn lean I had plat plugs and took them out for auto light and it runs alot better. My mods are

msds header y pipe
catco high flow cat
borla exhaust
weapon r intake
vitek wires
asp pulley
svt tb
svt upper intake
75 flow maff

The last thing I did is the maff and I felt a diff at high rpms and have not thrown a cell.This month I am putting the fly wheel and clutch in but that wont effect my maff. Any time you mess with anything to your motor you should send it back. If you get the maff and then install it you will throw a cell if you do a tb or upper intake, so try and do all the other stuff first hoipe this help.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
On the contour board some months ago there was a dyno day. There were several SVT's there and some regulars. The svt's were pulling 165's and there abouts.. some higher.... the real suprise of the day was a loan cougar. He ran 180 on the same dyno they were using. He was running MUCH lower before that run though... what changed? He used duct tape to temp in a 80mm Cobra MAF.... I didnt beleive it... the SVT's didnt like it... The MAF made a HUGE diffrence.... I dunno.. search the CEG board for the specifics... it was witnessed by several trustworthy people.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just rip a 90mm one off an SVT Lightning....but you may have to make a Talon/Eclipse style booby in the hood to make it fit.

j/k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.