New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know were to put this but if a Mod wishes to move it, feel free to help me out :)

At the moment I am installing a few LCD's in my car. My plans were to either use an XBox or a Computer in the car also to watch DvD's. My question is, which would be more efficient on power? Would the computer fry my alt asap or will I be fine. The computer would acually be more beneficial in the long run, more utility, but if the XBox is more power efficient, that is what I'll be using.

Any information and opinions will be appreciated.

Frankie

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
well it depends on ALOT of things. What kinda computer we talking about? Laptop, tower, mini tower? What components? An Xbox won't use nearly as much as a P4 3.06 ghz cpu computer would. But a lesser processor and periferrals would be about equal. As long as you use the right rated power inverter you should be fien no matter what route you go. B\C a high current/power system will draw even more power then both a computer and xbox together.

Confused yet? hehehe

·
Registered
517 Posts
by far the coolest thing that i have ever seen in terms of a CPU/DVD/other box is by a company called xenarc. the website is www.xenarc.com check out the 7" touchscreen w/the cpu/dvd. its way cool.
josh

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
yes thats pretty cool, but what they charge for a mini-tower computer is outragious. I could build the same system for less then half the price...it just won't look at cool.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what I was planning on doing was installing the computer into the glove box and fiberglassing it in. Being able to power it on and off and insert dvd's and cds without opening the glove box. I guess youd need to see a picture to understand. Thanks for the input though.

Frankie

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I understand completely. I almost did the exact same thing with my PS2.....but then thought about all the possible problems down the line that could cause. If you ever need access to behind it or need to remove it you gottta rig it so that the whole front comes off with it, either by a cool design or unscrewing it from underneath.\

would be damn pimp tho.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I thinks that what I am planning on doing.... I just hold it doesn't fry my alt in 2 weeks :/

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
no worries on that. I had 2 amps (1 was a 1000 watt'r) 11 neons, musical interface controller, lcd screen and PS2 through an inverter all summer long and didn't notice any difference and compared the outputs (i work at Autozone so I test regularly) And I know for a fact that theer are ppl pushing double what I was on the stock Alt. Just wire is correctly and you'll be fine.

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Yeah, Jason and I are about neck and neck with wiring / electronics / lighting content in our cars and I'm also still on my stock alternator and battery with no troubles! I have 2 LCD screens, tonnes of neons, LED lighting everywhere, GPS navigation / DVD / stereo system, custom lighting circuits.... no problem...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
But remember, both Ron and Jason are experts with wiring up and designing circuits. Because of this they will never overload any circuits or fuses and all work will be perfect thus ensuring the safety of themselves, car and the cars battery and Alt.

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Thanks for the flattery, but even the pros can make mistakes... nothing goes flawlessly without problems and I've had a few of them. The moral is, once you're careful and learn what you're doing, it'll turn out alright in the end.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have to agree 100% with Ron... his knowledge far surpasses anything I know!

I've blown my fair share of fuses, but as long as you're careful and plan before you start, you'll be fine.

EDIT: Trust me on this one... don't decide to ever wire your ECU inside of your glovebox... it's quite interesting :biggrin: I'm sure Iceotron can agree :tongue:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts