New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when my car is codl aka it is getting into winter and if i lkevae the car sit for ahwile it gets cold and has this problem...

it will take two or three tries tuirning the key to get it to start... but then if i run into the store or somethign for like a half hour it will start right up when i get back out because it hasn't gotten cold or whatever yet...

ideas? oil was just changed and as always it has mobil 1 synthetic in it....

at about 75k miles plugs and wires have never been changed should i do this would this help?

maybe fuel filter just doen't get the pressure up until a few tries attempting to turn over? has been probably about 15k again since i changed that one...

other ideas? i don't wanna keep having this problem all winter....

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Do you put your key in the ignition and immediately try to turn the car over, or do you turn the key to the "On" position and waite a few seconds? I ask because if you start up immediately, sometime the fuel pump isn't energized. Next cold start, turn the key all the way without turning over the car and waite about 5-10 seconds and give it a try.

G

·
Originally posted by: FastCougar
Do you put your key in the ignition and immediately try to turn the car over, or do you turn the key to the "On" position and waite a few seconds? I ask because if you start up immediately, sometime the fuel pump isn't energized. Next cold start, turn the key all the way without turning over the car and waite about 5-10 seconds and give it a try.
would you recommend doing this all the time on a cold start?

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm interesting i never tried that one.. i always just pop the key in and rotate all in just about one motion.. iwill try taht when i get out of work here in like 2 hours...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another tid bit. If its cold out and you go to your car and it won't start, like when you think the cold has just killed your battery. Instead of trying to start your car, turn on the headlights for like 10 mins. The current draw on a starter trying to start the car is a whole lot higher than the draw on the headlights. Basically the air bubbles are trapped down in the battery, when you turn the lights on, you pull current, which in turn heats up the battery. Then the air bubbles escape to the top where the electrodes are. Some tech's from up in Wisconsin told me this and then proved me wrong. Because I said yeah right. Might help you next time you think your battery's dead.
Gregg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts