New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for opinions on all cold air intakes. Here are the brands I am looking at:
Weapon R with cold air box and ram air kit
Aem Short intake
K&N piff
Injen
I looking to see the quality, sound at driving and high speeds, any gains if any in HP, Price, durability when in use with our cars.
All Opinions are respectfully ask.
ALso, if you hate the brand, fine, back it up with some facts.

Peace :goofy:

G

·
wow another intake question...geee..

Just take off half your intake box, and wrap panty hose on top of it....instant short ram ;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
k&n 'piff'?

i have the K&N Aircharger intake, its basically the same as all the other short-rams but has a form fitted heat shield that keeps cooler air trapped around the filter when in motion. The Aircharger retails for like $240, i got mine for like $175 in a group buy. I DEFINATLY noticed a generous power increase. If I were you, id spend the $50 and get the 75mm Maf Adaptor and K&N Style filter that Duratecperformance.com reccomends. That filter has a lot of surface area, unlike the injen and aem. The most surface area you can get in a filter the better, as it minimizes the effort the motor has to put into sucking in air. Also as it gets dirtier it wont lose as much flow value. ... and if you want, you can get an aluminum intake tube and hose couplings for about $50 later on if you want to replace the stock accordian tube.

Dont get the Weapon-R filter. The filter element is foam and WILL begin to fall apart into your motor in about 1 year. Its Cold Air Box is also really cheaply made and will deaden the sound youre looking for.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Ok this question just got answered a couple of days ago. So I am going to be a richard-head and say one thing search!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
At hamillfest, Dan just sprayed his with a garden hose, then him and my friend just threw it back and forth like a football until it was dry :rofl:

i think you're supposed to re-oil it though... somehow with a k&n reoiling kit - i think any pepboys would sell it.
i'm not sure though... never heard of anyone ever cleaning theirs. infact the dealership could probably do it for ya when you go for a tune up / oil change.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Yes! Buy the K&N filter recharge kit. Its only $10 bucks. It comes with everything you need to clean the filter properly.

It can be bought at autozone, advance auto, pep boys or any store which sells K&N

its recommended you allow the filter to dry propertly prior to oiling, ususally overnight.

DO NOT just spray the filter down and slap it back on after its dry. Withouth oil the filter will not do its job and WILL allow all kinds of dust into your engine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
GrandMaster.... KHAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!... speaks the truth. I cleaned my Injen just a couple of weeks ago. The kit comes with a spray cleaner and the oil. The first step was just whacking it on the floor to remove large debris - and it was pretty dirty. Mine said to clean every 30 or 40K but I think I am going to do it a little more often. It was super easy - the oil is even dyed red so you can tell where you missed on the filter. I say it's best to do on sunny Sunday. Clean it in the morning and put in the sun. Watch 6 or 7 hours of football and the filter is pretty dry by then - reoil and viola!

·
Registered
441 Posts
from my experience the fastest way to dry the filter is with a vacuum cleaner. Shake out as much water you can then take your vac and make the best seal you can with your hands to have air sucked through the filter. Usually takes bout 1 min for till the filter is dry, oil, voila.. done. To any [email protected]ss who is thinking water into vac = kaboom.... no. Not unless the filter is dripping wet but then that would just be DUM.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I know oil and water dont mix...BUT you just might end up sucking out your filter oil too. Allow the filter to dry normally. Its the best and safest way to do so..

Afterall we are talking about the ONE thing which keeps all the dirt and sand from Destroying your motor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think he means thats the way he dries it BEFORE he put oil on it. "Usually takes bout 1 min for till the filter is dry, oil, voila.. done."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts