New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
damn, i just had the same thing. read up on it online, do some googling on cd4e 1744, TCC solenoid, stuff like that. i just dropped mine yesterday at some transmission's shop to have 'em test the transmission (read codes, etc) for like 40 bucks. it may be as simple as some TCC sensors or as bad as ur torque converter waving at you that it's about to go bad... definitely get it tested.

btw, u can reset the code and it won't do those awfully harsh gear changes for a while... definitely get it diagnosed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i didn't mean to hijack this thread but i was gonna start one of my own... maybe it should be moved to transmissions section

i took it to AAMCO and they couldn't find anything on it. i get typical symptons of it being related to the Torque Converter Clutch cuz i get really bad shiftings on my ATX. i'm looking at the Ford service manual cd and a section talks about the MAF sensor is used for some things, one of them being for TCC scheduling...

my question is this... i started feeling this after or around the time i installed my injen short ram intake. that's about the only mod i've got. i'm wondering if the MAF sensor is somehow not reading correct readings, sending 'em to the TCC sensors, and causing my problem? i'm also getting the famous upstream rear o2 sensor CEL

anybody else who has this code experience similar symptons?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I posted this a while back in the transmission forum but will reprint here:

"OK, this is what I have discovered. The P1744 code indicates excessive slippage detected in the torque converter clutch. The torque converter clutch is electronically controlled by a TCC solenoid located with four other solenoids in an assembly attached to the valve body. There are only a few causes/solutions. Naturally, any other trouble codes need to be repaired first since they can cause the PCM to give erroneous data to the transmission. Secondly, the connector on the transmission can sometimes become corroded or damaged again causing erroneous data exchange. Third the TCC solenoid can be malfunctioning. The solenoid is replaced as an assembly with the other four control solenoids but it is on the outside of the valve body just inside the pan so it is an in vehicle repair. Four is a failing Torque converter. Last is a bad PCM. The good news is that the problem can be determined with inspection and test equipment plugged directly into the transmission harness w/o the need to open up the transmission. I have no idea how common this test equipment is outside of a dealership. If anyone has access to TSBs it might be interesting to know if any of these has been showing up as the "most common" problem."

Since I wrote this I have discovered two things. The local ford dealer is an idiot. They had no idea of any way to test it and said they would need to dismantle to inspect. They also said it was probably the torque converter. Since the test procedures come right out of the ford service manual, I can only believe they don't read it.

I have been driving the car locally for the past couple months and the problem has not reappeared. In my case the problem has only manifested itself on long road trips and only by the CEL coming on. I have never noticed any change in performance. Given your transmission shop didn't get any reading of a problem it appears to be an intermittent problem caused by certain conditions. Given my extensive experience with crappy ford transmissions, I am inclined to think heat might be a problem here as well. While it might be too late, I am putting a cooler on the transmission and will hope for the best. Perhaps I will get lucky.

Andy

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i had actually read ur post andy when i was doing some searching. i also got the same response from the shop saying the only definite way if i definitely thought was a transmission problem was to open it for around $380. they said they drained the tranny fluid and found it clean. if it would've been the torque converter, i believe it'd at least show some pieces as evidence it was starting to go bad.

i'll contact the shop and ask 'em if they have such equipment to plug directly into the transmission; from what they had told me, i think they did check that. i'm gonna have my o2 sensor replaced to see if that might somehow have had an effect... and yea, heat here is also a big problem.

so u dont' experience harsh shifting? whenever i have that cel code, i do big time. in fact, i was in the highway last weekend for around 3 hours when another light started blinking in my console, which said something about diagnosing my car cuz my automatic transaxle might be malfunctioning.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't really noticed any harsh shifting but again the code only comes on several hours into a 6 hour drive which is essentially all highway. So there isn't much shifting involved. In fact, I haven't even been able to identify a point where a shift occurred when the light comes on; just driving along at 70mph and happen to notice the light.

I took another look at the manual and the Pinpoint C electronics test uses a breakout box and a Volt ohm meter to check the proper functioning of the PCM and TCC solenoid. A Rotunda Transmission Tester is also referred to as the tool that enables the tester to control the transmission electronics independently of the vehicle electronics. This may however just be their name for the breakout box. Consequently a shop should be able to determine if the other components have issues before opening up the tranny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The main cause of DTC 1744 especially on the Cougar is the torque converter itself. The lockup clutch in the CD4E (our automatic trans axle) is not the standard it lockup at 50mph and cruise speed, no. We have what is known as a modulating clutch which active all the to 2nd for better over mpg and driveability so they say. This constant on off modulation puts stress on the clutch piston body inside the converter. Overtime the piston crack or warp a little allowing leaks and loss of pressure. When the converter is under load (going up a steep hill for an extended period of time for example) the leak causes loss of pressure and looses its hold and slips. Now here where the Ford programmers made serious error. When the slip is detected the car goes into fail safe mode and raise pressure. This pressure cause a serious bang shift and driven continuous with pull over turn of the car so it resets serious damage may occur. What Ford should have done when this particular code occurs is just simply disable converter activity. When you start the car from a cold start the converter clutch pulsation is inhibited until transaction fluid is warm up. This is the mode Ford should have used for the failsafe when this condition occurs. The high pressure choice has done more harm than good FORD!
Solution. Replace the torque converter but there is another key point that need to be made. The converter needs to be a quality until where the clutch piston has been reinforced with an additional weld around the circumference or the piston body is new. Unfortunately alot of converter rebuilders may not be address the piston because it test okay and as a result place a used piston that has wear where sooner or later the stress cracks will occur and you have slippage.
Side note. The real reason the starters on these exhibit the dread flywheel grind is because the starter is bad an on it way out. There are alot of poorly rebuilt starters out there so get new or a quality brand Bosch. What I want to emphasize is that if you start getting the grind it is the starter and nothing else. Do not waste your time and energy going down rabbit holes and believing it is this or that or the other thing.
The key is quality replacement units and asking questions. Make sure whoever places the converter in the car is putting a unit that has addressed the piston issue. Be a bull dog because you do want to replace torque converter every 50,000 miles. Also do some research. Use key words like CD4E sonnax, transtar, modulating clutch piston and you will understand.
As a note I got my 2000 Cougar new and my first deal with this code was at the 200,000 mile mark. I have done the converter replacement with good results. The key is make sure you get a good unit that address the piston is properly and not just clean up the converter, no problems here and call it a day. Where on the piston is relative and if not new or reinforced to modulation will take its toll.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
11-year necro-bump!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.