New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the unlucky cougar owners who was having trouble with my flywheel and that nasty whining sound when trying to start the car. Well, I had my flywheel replaced along with the starter in October. well guess what, last night when I was going to start my car...<screeeach> nothing. tried it again and it started right up. it can't be possible that the flywheel starting to crap out after 2 months, can it?

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: BigDaddyTiberius
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Maybe if you called it a Flexplate it would last longer.
:cover:

:rofl:
yea, and maybe the the Ford Dealership gave me the wrong part when I asked for a Flywheel for a 1999 Mercury Cougar 2.5L with Automatic transmission. And maybe the mechanic who suggested that it was my Flywheel and starter that was causing the car not to start was wrong too.

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok let me try this again:

I was one of the unlucky cougar owners who was having trouble with my flexplate and that nasty whining sound when trying to start the car. Well, I had my flexplate replaced along with the starter in October. well guess what, last night when I was going to start my car...<screeeach> nothing. tried it again and it started right up. it can't be possible that the flexplate starting to crap out after 2 months, can it?

Mike

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
ok let me try this again:

I was one of the unlucky cougar owners who was having trouble with my flexplate and that nasty whining sound when trying to start the car. Well, I had my flexplate replaced along with the starter in October. well guess what, last night when I was going to start my car...<screeeach> nothing. tried it again and it started right up. it can't be possible that the flexplate starting to crap out after 2 months, can it?

Mike
Well it sounds like you answered your own question. It appears to be exhibitiing the same exact symptoms as the first time it failed.
That to me would seem like it was failing again. Perhaps it was an install issue.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Hmmm, i can't remember, but are you the one that showed pics of your flexplate with the edges of the teeth broke/wore off? Judging by those pics (and my not so good memory) i thought it to be odd that only the very edge of the teeth were broke off. Almost seemed like the starter gear wasn't fully extending or meshing with the flexplate. Like the edges of the gears was the only thing touching.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea that was me.

so you think there's something wrong with the starter? maybe its not bolted on as tight as it should be? I mean this is pretty ridiculous I've never heard of a car having problems with the flywheel with only 57K miles on it, and even after it was replaced, the same thing happens?

Mike

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Yeah, that's the pic i'm thinking of. I can't say positivily whether your problem lies in the starter. As i'm not sure if i'm even right. All i'm saying is it seems strange to me that the teeth are only broken at the very edge. Is it possible to mount the flexplate with that face showing on the wrong side?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.