New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new shift knob for my ATX and I mounted a momentary switch next to it after i wired it I turned on the car and my whole cluster doesnt work! The only thing that does is the LCD clock and mileage. HELP!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You moved your shift knob -- and your gauge cluster stopped working?! :rofl:

Sorry dude -- you're definitely going to need to give us some more information... why was your dash opened if you were installing a shift knob?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
actually a ton of stuff is controled by the cluster. even the door ajar light is controlled by it. Must be a loose solder in there cause my ajar light goes on and off if I hit large potholes. Dealer says I'm SOL cause of the faces I installed.
Very possable he could have shorted it while doing this.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: BrantlyJ
actually a ton of stuff is controled by the cluster. even the door ajar light is controlled by it. Must be a loose solder in there cause my ajar light goes on and off if I hit large potholes. Dealer says I'm SOL cause of the faces I installed.
Very possable he could have shorted it while doing this.
I can assure you that the door ajar light is only a light on the cluster -- it is not controlled by it in the least. There is a relay near the fuse box that takes care of that task. Anyway, I'm still wondering why the cluster would have died, if he had no reason to open the dash in the first place to install a shifter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasnt even touching the cluster...Just after i was done and started it up...boom its out...

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Check your fuses... I believe there is a fuse that controls the mechanical aspects of the cluster -- I don't recall the number offhand. That may have been shorted for whatever reason when you were making the swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuse box under the hood? or the box under the steering wheel?..How do I know if its shorted? Thanks Guys...

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's refferring to the one under the dash. And you'll know if the fuse is blown once you look at it. They sometimes have a big black spot in it from when the fuse blew and there will be a space between the two fins that used to be connected. And when in doubt use a multitester on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate electricity...I looked at my fuses, they looked fine. Driving home from school i notice a puttering noise so I took it
to a gas station thinking gas might be the issue, (keeping in mind my cluster doesn't work, therefore no fuel gauge.)
Thus I filled up and started her up...nothing, won't even turn over...Got it home, lil red battery light is on...Alternator?
the batt. is charging now and im taking it to merc. dealer tomarrow...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This same thing (basically) happened to me. They said the wires behind my cluster went bad (beats me). The red light came on and everything, car no go. Dealer fixed.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Almost sounds like the computer was on it's way out... slowly losing the ability to send signals to the cluster, followed only in short time to kill the car's ability to maintain a good idle and stay running :shrug:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Goin to dealer on Moday, warranty will cover it, just hope they keep hush about the O/D button next to the shifter and the blown fuses...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same thing happened to me!!!! My guages crapped out and the LCD went.....Then the battery died...had to Flat bed it to the Dealer. Fixed under warranty.....they replaced the whole guage cluster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts