New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I press the brake pedal, no matter how light, I hear a clunking sound behind the passenger side rear seat area. Sounds kind of like the door locks engaging. When I release the brake I hear it again.
Nothing rolling around in the truck :tongue:

Is there some type of automatic seat belt lock or such that would be doing this? It does not effect the brakes nor does it matter if it is hard braking or just touching the pedal. It seems to be electrical related to the brake light switch.

Any ideas ? I don't want to have someone drive while i ride in the truck to see.

:banghead:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you have drum brakes in back or rotors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out your rear bushings. Mine make a clank when I hit bumps. Though that is not braking. Check your brakes. Check to see if anything is in your wheel. Etc...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, I had an older ford torus with drum breaks and I forget what it was but some piece was broken and stuck in a spring I think. Thus, when even the smallest amount of break pressure pulled the spring causing the spring to going "boing" when it couldn't stretch right. Anyway, could be something else but I would start by taking apart the break and checking things. Also, maybe a the problem could be in the break lines?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear disc and this sound appears to be coming from directly behind the passenger side rear seat or side panel not outside the car like brakes. It can be reproduced at very slow speeds. Forward or backward motion of the car. I really just wondered if anyone knew if these cars had some type of auto seat belt retractor lock that worked in conjunction with the brake lights. That is all I can imagine it would be with out climbing back there while someone else drives but I guess that's what I may have to do.
Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rear disc and this sound appears to be coming from directly behind the passenger side rear seat or side panel not outside the car like brakes. It can be reproduced at very slow speeds. Forward or backward motion of the car. I really just wondered if anyone knew if these cars had some type of auto seat belt retractor lock that worked in conjunction with the brake lights. That is all I can imagine it would be with out climbing back there while someone else drives but I guess that's what I may have to do.
Thanks for the replys.

any chance your exhaust is hitting the underbody?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts