New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post.

Thinking of changing the lights in the clock/odo controller, round thing just left of steering wheel.
Has any one done this?
Ripped it apart, looks like same led as a nokia 3300 series phone. Any info would be appreciated.

Vic

Attached is pict of board in side switch. Not your typical led.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I wasn't sure those were led's, the ac controls aren't, they have green stuff on the back of them that you have to sand off...if it is an led that lights that, then it's probably a standard 3mm led that you can get a pack of 2 for .99 at Radioshack. Same mod as changing the led's in the switches on the door and the trunk button. Just snip out the old led, put the new one in and solder the posts (short end to the negative post and long end to the resistor). That's it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st and only attempt, see picture. After removing green light and installing blue one the case would not close. I figured I could drill out holes for the led to stick thru, luckily i first tested it. The blue led was about half as bright as the green ones and burned out after 20 seconds. I was able to put green one back in.

Back to the drawing board.

Vic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
if you run a search for doing this mod you'll come up with a couple results for how-to's. i know plenty of people on the boards have completed this mod and it works dandy.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: rista
if you run a search for doing this mod you'll come up with a couple results for how-to's. i know plenty of people on the boards have completed this mod and it works dandy.
I think you are mistaking what he wants to do with people changing out the window buttons. As far as I have seen, this is the first attempt at changing the flat LEDs in the clock control head.

You need to find flat motherboard LEDs...check grangier.com and other electronics websites.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Woah... be careful. Those are SMT LEDs ( SMT - surface mount ) They should not be replaced with standard 3mm or 5mm LED's as the fit won't be the same. You need to replace them with other SMT LED's. This also requires a good hand with tweezers and a soldering iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.