New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a monster pot hole on snow road in Parma Heights and I was just wondering
if there's anyway I can get the city to pay for a new tire. My tire looks like it grew a tumor
so it needs to be replace. BTW ....... I just spent 800 dollars on new tires two weeks ago

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Owww....sorry about that! No road hazard warranty on the tires? Where did you get them? NTB and Discount Tire offer a great road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the tires at NTB, but...... stupid me didn't get the extended warranty.
So, yeah I already tried to go that way with it. I know some cities will cover
the charge of tire damage due to their roads, I just don't know if Parma Heights does,
or who even to call, to find out. The pot hole I hit was huge and you can't see it untill the sec. before
you hit it, because your driving uphill.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hi Janelle :) If you don't slack on this and call ASAP they should cooperate. I'm not sure, but I think Parma has the absolute worst roads in N.E. Ohio. Take some pics of the tire now and hopefully you kept the receipt from the tire place. You probably need to talk to the City of Parma Heights. I knew my job would pay off eventually. Here's the info::

Parma Heights City of Complaints
6277 Pearl Road
Parma, Ohio 44130
ph: 440-884-9607
**OR**
City of Parma Heights
6200 Peal Road
Parma, Ohio 44130
ph: 440-886-2424

One should be able to help. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
I have heard that they have to pay if someone has complained before (so they "know" about the hole) and it hasn't been fixed since the complaint. If you're the first to complain, your chances are not as good...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Samething happend to one of my co-works he just got a brand new Tiburon (sp) he hit a pot hole around here in Akron. The City had to replace it. (Akron has really bad pot holes too.. if you ever go downtown ride in the middle lane) just remember to take photos of it and reciept.

Sarev

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Janelle...accident prone? YES.

You wanna know one major reason I never come over even though you dont live that far away now? There isnt a decent road to get to your place and your place is full of speed bumps. F-Parma, Parma Heights, whatever. I hate that city and everyone else around Cleveland does too.

I dont know who to contact but I'd raise hell. Especially since youre riding on a stock setup- dont wait though!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When I drive my Ranger I don't worry about potholes too much:biggrin:

And Janelle, you've been absent frome here for months and then pop back in here to tell us about a pot hole! Come on girl grace us with your presence more then that

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright i called and gave them the complaint, so i'll get back with you guys
to let you know how it turns out.

Slade, man i would pick your butt up if your too afraid of driving your car out here lol
or have Diane take ya lmao

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slad just so you know they took all the speed bumps out of my apartment complex,
There's some basketball players and hockey players that just moved in here so i'm
guessing they complained about them. A few of those guys have really nice and low
sports cars.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Basketball and hockey players you say? Sounds like you might have it made. Not to worry. I'm still rolling on stock 15's so I can brave Parma's horrible roads. But Slade hates driving with me so I don't know maybe he'll have to take a bus or something.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright, update on the tire situation.
According to the City of Parma, since I am the first to complain about that pothole
they don't have to front any money to me. So basically Bennett9000 was right.
I really find it hard to believe that I was the only person to have tire damage from it
considering it was a freakin huge hole in the road. At least they finally fixed it!
Here is what they wrote me.............

We received your complaint regarding an incident in which the vehicle you were driving was damaged by a road
hazard. Unless there was an extended period of time during which the City was aware of the hazard but did nothing to correct
it, the city has no legal responsibility.
Under Ohio law, it is the duty of the City to exercise reasonable, ordinary care and maintenance for its streets ( yeah freakin right !! ).
Liability does not arise except by proof either that it actually created the faulty condition from which damage resulted or that it had notice of the condition for a reasonable period of time and failed to make the repair. A municipal corporation is not an insurer against accidents upon its streets. The City is to keep streets in a reasonably safe condition for travel, but does not have to do that which is unreasonable or impracticable. In other words, unless there was an extended period of time during which the City was aware of the hazard but did nothing to correct it, the City has no legal responsibility.
Based upon the circumstances in this case, it is our opinion that the City has not committed a breach of its duty. You may wish to contact your insurance company regarding this incident.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Let this be a lesson for us all: next time you get tire damage from a city street - have your mom call and complain. Then a week later, call 'em yourself and let'em have it...

Edit: Sorry, Janelle. That happened to me several years ago (thankfully long before I bought the Cougar)...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts