New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carb cleaner works well...scrub as far in as you can go...

That is the LIM, right below the UIM...

Replacing the gaskets is always a good idea, especially if they are old, or have been reused before. They are cheap enough to get to replace. And in case a gasket is faulty, do you really feel like taking it apart again, or getting dirt into the engine??

The port that lines up with the butterfly is the secondary...And in the LIM, the port with the butterfly is the secondary...On the lower the Secondary port should be very dirty.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Okay, we have the UIM completely taken out. Its really kinda oogly in the ports too black and mucky. And now I have a few questions.

1. What specific product should I use to clean it out, and how should I apply it?
2. Under the UIM is where the ports mate up to other ports, is this the LIM? Should this be removed and cleaned?
3. The how-to (which I didn't use) said to replace the gaskets......do you have to?
4. Is the larger of the two ports per cylinder the "secondaries"? The larger port seems to be much dirtier.

Thanks a lot! and Hah, see, I do do stuff to my car :):).

·
Registered
674 Posts
1 Carb cleaner/choke cleaner/air intake cleaner Wire brush works well. (I used 5 cans on my Upper Lower and TB)
2 Yes it's the LIM, you can remove it and clean it if you want to, it will make you faster (you can also "optimize" the secondaries for more power), I'm in the process of doing the 3L UIM, LIM and TB Pictures of mine
3 You don't have to replace the gaskets but you should......at 40 bucks from Autozone it's a little pricey
4 They are the same size.....or are at least on my 2.5 and 3L. The secondaries have the butterfly plate in them, you'll see on my pictures.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why is my post ahead of the question post???

That is freaky

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
check the how-tos for the uim removal and installation instructions. it has all that info on removal and replacement there.

this ceg link also has a lot of good info as well.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
is it really necessary to torque the bolts to a specific number? I mean, they also tell you to torque your wheel nuts to a certain number..but who does that?

Mike

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
is it really necessary to torque the bolts to a specific number? I mean, they also tell you to torque your wheel nuts to a certain number..but who does that?

Mike
:wave: I do! I broke lug because my rims came loose from being under torqued.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts