New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more for the people with gunmetal rims with a chrome lip. What do you guys and girls use to clean them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
a rag, soap and water. cheapest and best way to clean any rim.. That spray on rinse off stuff sometimes can contain chemicals that can be bad for the paint.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
That spray on rinse off stuff sometimes can contain chemicals that can be bad for the paint.
Plus, I haven't found one that works! They don't even take a little bit of the dust off. It is like you never used it! When I wash my car, I find that the brake dust comes off easier if you wipe the rims off before you get them wet. The dust comes right off. Then wash the car and hit them with some soap and water to get rid of anything you missed. Also, to make things easier in the future, wax your rims. The dust doesn't stick as well so it is easier to get off.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For soap, you can use the same car wash solution that you use to wash the car. Regardless of what you use to clean your wheels, you will almost always need to agitate the dust/dirt with a rag, mitt or soft brush to get it to come off.
Whichever tool you choose to clean your wheels (rag, mitt, or soft brush), dedicate it solely to that task and never use it on your car's paint. Brake dust contains metallic particles that can become embedded in your wheel tool which could easily scratch your car's finish.

For protection, make sure you use the appropriate product for your wheels' finish:

Painted/Clearcoated - wax
Chrome - Chrome polish
Aluminum - Aluminum or metal polish

Do not use wax on chrome or any metal surface...metals need to breathe and wax inhibits this process which could result in cloudiness or discoloration.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just use soap and water....thats what I thought the answer would be. Who knows whats in some of thoses cleaners. When you say wax them...do you mean spay wax or ? And what about tire shine....is it alright for that to get on my rims. Cause I have seen these wheel cover things ,that you use to cover your rims when applying tire shine. Is that stuff bad for rims to? I dont what to mess up my rims using some harsh cleaner. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wax - If you're going to wax the painted section of your wheels, use a quality paste or liquid wax, spray waxes are okay to maintain protection in between waxes, but I wouldn't rely on it for your primary protection. Spray waxes are highly diluted so they don't bond as well or last as long as regular wax.

Tire Shine - You really don't want to let tire shine sit too long on any painted surface, especially a surface that can get as hot as wheels. Even tire shine manufacturers recommend cleaning it off painted surfaces to prevent discoloration or staining. Furthermore, tire shine on your wheels will act as a magnet for brake dust.
So if you use spray-on tire shine, I would suggest either investing in a Wheel Shield or start using a wipe-on shine like Meguiar's Endurance. And regardless of what shine you use, its always a good idea to let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wipe off any excess from the tires before driving to minimize sling-off.

I know, it sux how complicated the simplest of chores can become.:rolleyes: The extra effort will pay off in the long run though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
OMG they actually have a wheel shield I remember when they made a fake face protector for when you used hair spray

I use the Eagle One tire shine that comes with a sponge which helps me avoid spraying over on wheels
Just wipe it on and forget it.

·
Administrator
11,556 Posts
For the lip of my old rims (see sig) I used Eagle-1 Mag & Aluminum polish. Worked amazing. But you need to keep up with it all the time otherwise you'll start seeing scratches & stuff. Man did my fingers hurt after jaming them in where the spoke meets the lip.

As for cleaning them in general. I Meguiar's Hot Rims, then later wash them with what's left for car wash (Meguiar's Gold Class :)). And to finish off the tires I've been using that Meguiar's tire spray can. You can adjust the nozzle to the profile of your wheels. It doesn't last quite as long as the tire gel, but is faster to use. I was my car every week in the summer so it doesn't really matter how long it stays on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts