New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm driving down the highway one day, its a calm evening and i'm just enjoying the ride right? then i suddenly feel this quiver of anger as I hear the infamous boom tube of a civic that pulls up beside me at the red light. for whatever reason that guy gives me a look and so does his g/f and starts revin up the tube, that sound making me more angry by the second, the light turns green and he takes off, so i let it rip after him, he took off fast then me, but thats because he let it go first and i decided to follow after him, it doesn't help much that i need new tires and they hardly even chirped, they just bounced really. So he has maybe 2 car lengths on me, but once i hit second gear and then third i flew by him, he didn't even have a prayer. I gotta get me some new tires, gotta let the rip now and then right?

anywho a little off topic, but I didn't really know where else to put this, but when it comes to the most efficient shifting in an MTX cougar, when do you prefer to shift to keep momentum going. off the start too, do you just floor it or drop the clutch, and how many RPM do you bring it up before you drop it.

another thing, i've only had this car for a few months (my first car, i'm only 17) and unfortunatley i have not so great tires, for those of you who have good tires, can you let them rip pretty good? i'm just sort of curious lol, i haven't really been able to test it out yet.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
First of all Burning out is not good for your Differential or the tranny. I don't recommend doing it.

When your wheels "bounced" you where experiencing "wheel hop". This is will greatly reduce your 60ft times. In order to correct this you should invest in new struts/springs, and a solid motor mount. This combination will greatly improve your launching and prevent wheel hop, which will damage your differential.

For a proper launch you should raise the rpms to 3.5k or so. don't simply dump the clutch. Feather it slightly as you drop it so that the clutch will not fully engage. This will keep you from burning out. Which is a good thing for traction and good 0-60 times.

Shift around 6300 rpms, as this is where the power band starts to drop off.

Keep in mind with a stock engine and transmission 'drag racing' is very hard on the engine and transmission components such as the clutch and differential.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've never had my car up to 6300 RPMs...my engine would be roarin like a mother - tops for me has probably been 5500 RPM...that's pushin it...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would imagine that my tires would make a huge difference in the way i launch too, i got no grab with these bald tires, but i'm buyin 4 new ones soon

another thing, do you mind elaborating on feathering the clutch, i don't quite know what you mean ;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Originally posted by: PeDL2DaMeDL
I've never had my car up to 6300 RPMs...my engine would be roarin like a mother - tops for me has probably been 5500 RPM...that's pushin it...

say what? you never reved your engine past 5500 rpms?

dude most of your power is above 5500 rpms... when I bring it to 7100 rpms, and the tack don't drop below 5200 inbetween shifts...

you have a v6 right?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by: cougarXR7

say what? you never reved your engine past 5500 rpms?

dude most of your power is above 5500 rpms... when I bring it to 7100 rpms, and the tack don't drop below 5200 inbetween shifts...

you have a v6 right?

i4

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
still though , you can rev it longer to get more power out of it. I usually shift at 6300-6500 Our car flatlines til about 6300 then starts dropping, and to get the most out of the zetec it needs to stay in higer revs,

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
i usually shift at like 6k or just a bit over. that what seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I usually shift somewhere between 6500 and 7000. So far thats worked for me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yeah but you have a v6, our power drops way off at 6400 or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts