New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to circuit city today to get a replacement dash kit for my head unit because I broke the one that was already in the car while installing the module for an LED light that I had placed in my grill. I dropped the car off and when I went to pick it up not only does the LED not work on 'scan' or 'music' mode, but the new dash kit won't snap in. I can't get it to work either, and for now have a folded up piece of paper stuffed in the side to force it to stay. I need to have the LED fixed tomorrow where I got it put in, and am considering simply super gluing the kit into place. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the dash kits? And please, does anyone have a suggestion for fixing it besides super glue? Are there other dash kits available for the cougar?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
nah dude, dont super glue it. itll be a paint getting out if u need 2 and ull prolly have heck of a time getting it off if needed.
there are a couple different styles. whats ur look like?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically it has the head unit on the top, with an empty space below like a little shelf. and yeah, the super glue is probably a bad idea ... i was just ... uhhh ... a bit upset.

·
Registered
517 Posts
although i love metra, i hate the cougar kit. it fits like crap and doesnt add any support. call around and find a AMI kit- they fit better and you wont need to worry about your radio falling out!!
josh

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have the Metra, never had a problem - maybe they snapped the wrong supports off of it before it was installed - unfortunately, the book that comes with some of the 'Cougar' ones doesn't even have one vehicle listed...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
maybe they snapped the wrong supports off of it before it was installed
That would be my guess, either they snapped off the wrong ones, or did snap off any at all. If they snapped off the wrong ones you will need a new one. Just pick up another and do it yourself its incredibly simple.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I myself got a terrible mounting bracket from circuit city. They told me it would fit with minor modification, but it took a lot of sanding and it still doesn't look good.

Is this the one you have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is the ugly ass dask kit. go back to circuit city and ask for the metra 99-5200 it is much nicer cleaner looking and gives you you 2 cd storage much better as far as support goes, it is the same dash kit as a focus. i am very pleased by the 5200

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Go to Crutchfield and get a Schose kit...I had the Metra kit...never did fit right. I ordered the Schose kit...all is well with the world once again.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i have the kit where there is a plastic piece on top, cd player is centered, then black piece on bottom, it keeps falling outta the dash.

think its the schoshe or whatever the hell yall said

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
i had the same one with the same problems. if there is a best buy near by go there. the one at circuit city kept breaking on me and wouldnt hold the deck in during bumps and execisve acceleration and stoping. i have no complaints with the new one i got from best buy.

edit: youll also have more room so that money will fit fine in the best buy kit. not in the empty cig hole.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey i work at circuit city... for one... that kit pictured half way down is definately not the right kit for a cougar. The other thing is that we along with focus's use the same kit. I also had problems with my right side snapping in because if you look at the dash, the ledge where it should snap in doesnt exist. I used some hot glue, no problems since and its still easy to get out if i have to.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Haba you need the one I got, its the one with no pockets on top or bottom. I think its the most cleanest looking and stable dash kits for our cars. (saying from experience I have gone through all of them).
I can help you put it in if you need?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you talking about the Scosche FM1375B kit? There's one on ebay that I was considering...not sure if this is the right one to get. Doesn't look like it would do a good job supporting the unit.

Is the Metra 99-5200 the way to go? I gotta get that stock tape machine out of there!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Originally posted by: mallard
Are you talking about the Scosche FM1375B kit? There's one on ebay that I was considering...not sure if this is the right one to get. Doesn't look like it would do a good job supporting the unit.

Is the Metra 99-5200 the way to go? I gotta get that stock tape machine out of there!
I wouldn't recommend that kit because the radio goes in first, then the dash kit sits on top of it. If you have a detachable face radio then chances are, it will get stuck on its way out half the time.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
werd! thats a crappy kit. I have that one. no longer installed of course..But its junk.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
Holy sh!t... this thread was dead, newbie! :biggrin:
I thought it better to search and revive a dead thread then start a new "duh...what dash kit should I get" post. But it seems that I still don't have an answer. Doesn't anyone like the dash kit they're using and know what model number it is? :rolleyes:

Edit: looking back on the posts, I see people praise the AMI (which Google can't find) and the Metra 5200. Some praise the 5200, some say it doesn't fit a pre-01. Also, the Metra looks exactly like the Scosche kit to me. The install in my Grand Prix looks like ass because there's no clearance behind the deck, and I have to use a dash kit that sticks out a whole inch from the dashboard. It's awful. I don't want the same thing to happen to my new baby.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts