New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I know it's late but some of us around Cincinnati are trying to get some stuff done before it gets too cold out. So far we have a couple people interested and have chosen a date of Sun the 16th. We need a location still. Most of us live in Cincinnati, but would be willing to drive some. If you would like to go, or have a place we could meet at feel free to post or PM me. We're planning on Pre-cats, 3L upper, CAI, LCD color change, maybe Baer big brake upgrade. Hope to see some of you there.

John

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I wish I could go, but no chance since I have to work every Sunday evening. I have first hand experience with the mating of the 3L upper to the 2.5L lim and may have been able to give some tips as well as things to avoid. I'm sure you guys/gals will be able to figure it out. Thanks for the invitation, John.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I was really hoping you would show up because of that. I'm already have a 3.0 LIM installed and working, but I couldn't install the 3.0 UIM because of difficulties with the throttle cable. I now have the one I need and just need time to do it. My only question to you is what did you do with the vacuum lines for the Break booster, and the Emissions "tree", did you use the 3/8" hose and connect it to the bottom of the UIM? I already ground down the IAC so I'm hoping to just leave it installed on the top, we'll see.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The brake booster hose is attached to the back side of the uim. If you can help it, I would recommend not using heater hose to make this connection. The use of heater hose made my brake pedal feel softer than stock. I would use something of the same material that comes stock (plastic). Also the EGR will melt holes in heater hose. PuckPuck was able to make a connection that has yet to melt, but I haven't been as fortunate. The hose would hold till high rpm, then the cel would come back along with the smell of burning rubber. I had to make my own EGR tube out of 1/2" copper tubing, securing it with clamps and couplings.

You mentioned mounting the IAC to the top. Did you make sure to get the 3L tb housing? You'll need the svt linkage also. I have mine mounted to the top and it needs to be shaved down some more as it has rubbed some of the paint off the underside of my hood.

I don't know what you mean by "emmisions tree". There is a hole or port for every hose you will have to run. Seems like there was an extra that needed to be plugged if one chose to locate the IAC where it was meant to be.

I would take more pics for you showing where/how I ran the hoses, but my car is on vacation this week and I am stuck with a rental.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, the emissions "tree" or emissions vacuum as the ford guy said, is the other black vacuum line on the top of the 2.5 UIM. I think I can just re-route that.

I do have the 3L TB, TB Bracket, and Cable.......Can I get away without the SVT linkage? It's my understanding that since I have everything to make the TB work from the petal up I can just use the 3L stuff......let me know because this could be a big problem.

Anyone wanting to do the 3L LIM, it's sorta a pain, you have to transfer the spring and mechanism that controls the secondaries over from the 2.5 to the 3L. If you wanna know more just ask.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Since you have the TB, bracket and cables from the 3L, I don't forsee any problems. I retained the SVT throttle cable and noticed that it would not secure to the 3L tb. As you said, you are working from the pedal up, so nothing I just said matters.

What are the runner sizes of the 3L LIM?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I belive the size is the same as the SVT spec ones (00-02).....they were defiantly larger than my 2.5's, but I have a 99. If I had calipers I could tell you, but I also countersunk the screws, take a look.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts