New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I replace the cigarette lighter in my 99? I've read all kinds of different stories about how it is impossible or whatever, just wanted to get a little info on what to expect when I break out the tool kit. :) thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a new one, because the girl who owned my car before me smoked so many cigarettes it doesn't work. So instead of just buying a new lighter piece (the inside is pretty nasty too) I bought a whole new lighter. That's the piece and the metal insert I want to replace.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
well, my first guess would be to go to any Ford/Mercury dealership, and im sure you can order one from them... since its a factory part.

hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I went to take out the lighter and I think it's impossible. I took off both screws (although I dont think they hold on anything important except the dash piece), took out the plastic piece in front of it, and the ash tray. NO WAY. It didn't do anything, I think it's permantly attached to the rear of the dash or something. Someone please help!

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK, here you go. Take out all the screws (three in the CD/center consule, two from the sides, and the two torx screws that are located behind the ashtray and the lighter (just pull out the ash tray and then the black plastic piece surrounding the lighter and voala there are the two screws)).

No you want to take your shift boot and gently pull up on it so that it pops out of "frame". Gently pull back the whole console until you are able to see and remove the two power supply lines leading to your lighter. Just remember how they go on because that part I forget. Now in order to remove the actual lighter I found that by (get a pair of gloves for this) sticking my finger in the lighter from the front and then start turning the back side of it I will come loose. The two sides are only threaded on there. I just forget which way to turn. I've done it so many times but I just can't remember.

If you already have to replacement part you will see what I mean about them screwing in together. Hope this helps.

If I have missed a step sorry about it. Though this is the general procedure for it. Let me know how it works out. If anybody else can chime in on this topic go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts