New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my car, but a coworker is trying to troubleshoot an problem with his Cirrus. Anyone here familiar with these cars, or Chrylser 2.5L v6s in general.

He said he was driving down the interstate with the cruise on when the car downshifted and started losing speed. He canceled cruise and hit the gas and it continued to slow. He worked the car over to the shoulder and limped to an off ramp. He said it would run at idle (not very well though), but ran worse if he hit the gas and wouldn't rev past around 2000 rpm. He shut the car off an it wouldn't restart, so he had to have it towed home. It tripped a CEL and the code was for bank 1 or 2 lean (forget which one).

Last weekend I went over to help him troubleshoot with a couple of ideas about what the problem might be, but when he started it up, it ran just fine. We took it for a 15-20 drive around and nothing abnormal happened at all. He was going to reset the codes and drive it around locally to see if it happens again, but is understandably a bit paranoid about the car now, especially since it is his wife's car and she is a new driver (long story).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Reasoning for it running like crap is because somehthing would be telling it to go to limp mode from what it sounds like..

limp mode - fail safe mode... same difference..

As for whats causing it.. idk

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking along the lines of a massive air leak or clogged cat originally, but now I'm leaning toward a sensor acting up. The fact that it isn't still doing it makes it tough to narrow down though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not my car, but a coworker is trying to troubleshoot an problem with his Cirrus. Anyone here familiar with these cars, or Chrylser 2.5L v6s in general.

He said he was driving down the interstate with the cruise on when the car downshifted and started losing speed. He canceled cruise and hit the gas and it continued to slow. He worked the car over to the shoulder and limped to an off ramp. He said it would run at idle (not very well though), but ran worse if he hit the gas and wouldn't rev past around 2000 rpm. He shut the car off an it wouldn't restart, so he had to have it towed home. It tripped a CEL and the code was for bank 1 or 2 lean (forget which one).

Last weekend I went over to help him troubleshoot with a couple of ideas about what the problem might be, but when he started it up, it ran just fine. We took it for a 15-20 drive around and nothing abnormal happened at all. He was going to reset the codes and drive it around locally to see if it happens again, but is understandably a bit paranoid about the car now, especially since it is his wife's car and she is a new driver (long story).
Hi sonza68.:wave: Well, if we were talking about a Cougar, I would think it might be the fuel pump going south. Do you think that's a possibility?

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't ruled out, but we haven't ruled much out at this point. I know next to nothing about these cars and what I do know doesn't include common failures or exactly how all the sensors work together (MAP sensor instead of MAF for example).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts