New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i don't know if this is a common problem with these damn cars, but i have a very annoying chirp from the rear of my car. It sounds like its in the trunk area, and a hint:if im driving and i pop my trunk it will go away until my trunk locks back in, so i think its something when the hatch/trunk applys pressure to the body, well any help? any body have problems like this??? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the same problem and actually, just finished fixing it the other day. I determined that it was either coming from the passenger side rear panel(speaker area) or the panel above that that goes from the hatch up to the roof. I pulled both panels out, tightened a few things, retightened my speaker, put them back in and made sure everything fit together nicely, then hit the panels to finish it off(they clip into place). Dont know if you have a system or not but i do, and the constant thumping definetly contributed to the panels moving a little/not fitting as nice as they should.

Its definetly not a hard job, all youll need is a phillips head and a torques(sp?) screwdriver, and maybe a flathead to help get leverage to pull the panels off. Good luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wrapped electrical tape around the loop on the hatch that goes into the lock.....this stops the noise........but after a few pops of the trunk the tape will wear out and youll get the anoying squeek/chirp again and have to replace the tape......I didnt try oiling the loop though, its kinda that annoying metal on metal sound so maybe the oil would work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey just want to let everyone know, this works, (wrapping a small peice of tape over the latch to go into trunk......that annoying chirping is now gone.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cool I also had at first thought it was a clip from one of the panels and was going nuts about it then a friend suggested the tape on the loop I looked at him like he was crazy but it worked........good to hear ...........its nice and quiet now right!:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just open the trunk and close it. Keep doing that till it stops making that noise .

Lol jk.... I had a chirping noise coming from my trunk once. don't really know what my friend did but he was messing with the trunk and it started making this chirping noise that wouldn't go away with the trunk closed. Again i don't know what he did but he made it stop. I havent heard it since. I guess the point to all this is there may be a permanent fix to this that doesn't include using tape. :shrug:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Originally posted by: greenlacougar
Just open the trunk and close it. Keep doing that till it stops making that noise .

Lol jk.... I had a chirping noise coming from my trunk once. don't really know what my friend did but he was messing with the trunk and it started making this chirping noise that wouldn't go away with the trunk closed. Again i don't know what he did but he made it stop. I havent heard it since. I guess the point to all this is there may be a permanent fix to this that doesn't include using tape. :shrug:
ask him what it is then, I tried adjusting the lock but that didnt help if you find out post it because Im to lazy to keep wrapping that damn loop with tape evey couple of weeks either that or dont use the trunk......lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.