New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my chic's family is gonna sell some land, so she's getting some money off that. her dad said he'll give her $15k to get herself a car...

so wat's out there for 15k cash? i've seen stuff like scion miniBus, neon, cavalier, stuff she doesn't like though (maybe the miniBus)...

anything out there u can think of?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno exactly... her "dream car" was the cougar but we've done quite a bit of stuff to it mostly due to her neglicence to maintenance so she wants to get rid of it... she says she wants to "upgrade" not downgrade and that she might convince her dad for $20K. i think 20k would open more opportunities especially if she wants a better car... my guess, chic car: comfort, looks (no offense)?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she's been in a tiburon before (~01 model) and she says she didn't like it much cuz there's no space... but they're under 15K? i'll look into 'em.

·
Administrator
20,413 Posts
Are we talking brand new or slightly used here?

Gti, Jetta, Scion TC, Focus SVT, not that any of these are necessarily 'chic cars', but if something barely used with low miles on it is ok, you could probably pick up any of them for a decent price.

By the way, garage talk. :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i doubt it... i've worked in conjunction to a dealership and seen and heard all salesmen talk about... i've seen someone get 3 grand commission on someone who bought a car cash.... how he did it? he raised the price to cover his commission, like i'm sure many if not all salesmen do...

btw, she'd rather have a new car than a used for, mostly cuz of a higher mechanical failure probability... she likes the hyundai sonata if that helps or a brand new cougar (until i told her the newest was 2002!!)

[edit] can someone move to garage talk?? sorry.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
that'd make quite the nice downpayment on pretty much any car.
She doesn't have to get something that costs just $15k.
She should do some shopping and see what she likes out there.
If it costs more than $15k, she can just finance the rest.

I personally wouldn't blow all $15k on the car either.
I'd put down only a piece of that on a car, finance the rest, and then invest the remainding cash toward my future (college, house, retirement, whatever).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, she's getting 50K, of which only 15 or maybe 20 are for a car... she'd rather pay it off right there so she doesn't have to worry about another monthly payment... either that or spend it all on a huuuuuummerrr!!!!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Saturn ION Quad Coupe 3 in black, with the optional whale-tail wing. Cool.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, that ion's pretty nice... is that 4 doors like the rx8 with the two rear hidden?

we've both actually liked that one just of the "dent resistant" feature... how's that work and does it actually do its job well?

·
Registered
933 Posts
might get burned for this but the scion tC is pretty nice

·
Premium Member
13,367 Posts
Originally posted by: nullxposur
well, she's getting 50K, of which only 15 or maybe 20 are for a car... she'd rather pay it off right there so she doesn't have to worry about another monthly payment... either that or spend it all on a huuuuuummerrr!!!!
tell her to get a loan anyways, and pay it off with the money she has. build up some credit?:shrug:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why would someone burn you for suggesting a tC? Scions are definitely cool looking cars and I would trade my Cougar in a heartbeat(Because it is getting old now not because I don't still love it) for an xB. I was actually going to suggest looking at an xB(although Scions have been mentioned twice now) because there is a good amount of space and she can customize the crap out of it if buying it new or she could purchase a used one and make it her own. I've had but 3 real love's in my life when it has come to cars: New Edge Cougars, Nissan 350Zs, and Scion xBs. Everyone's tastes are different but hopefully you guys will find the perfect car for her.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea, i mentioned the scion several times to her... xb and tc but she wouldn't give in.... we saw a tc up close and she said they looked better than just on the highway...

jetta's are around 15? she loves jetta's.. so i guess i'll give her a list of scion, saturn ion, jetta, tiburon... sucks all i could think of was neon and cav =\

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Originally posted by: nullxposur
wow, that ion's pretty nice... is that 4 doors like the rx8 with the two rear hidden?

we've both actually liked that one just of the "dent resistant" feature... how's that work and does it actually do its job well?
Yeah - Saturn did the rear-opening doors before Mazda, but nobody noticed :rolleyes: They actually used the geometry on their 1999 SC coupes, only in a 3-door arrangement. They just brought them over onto the ION in 2003 and used 4 doors.

And the 2.2 L Ecotec is the same motor used across the GM board, in everything from the Cavalier/Cobalt to the Grand Am and Malibu. It's pretty stout, torquey, and very moddable - the aftermarket is huge. You should take a test drive. I did, and liked the little guy a lot. If you aren't anal about the center-mounted instrument panel, which some peopple can't seem to get over...

·
is a pop sensation
17,170 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Yeah - Saturn did the rear-opening doors before Mazda, but nobody noticed :rolleyes: They actually used the geometry on their 1999 SC coupes, only in a 3-door arrangement. They just brought them over onto the ION in 2003 and used 4 doors.
And the F-150 has had one since 1997.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.