New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this is worth a PSA seeing these cars are now 20+ years old now.

I just pulled apart 4 headlights, all factory sealed, and the wires that lead to each hi/low beam bulb no longer had a coating. The copper was exposed all along the wiring at different points and could easily ground against itself or the headlight internals.

Only solutions I can think of are to give them a coat of liquid electrical tape, splice new wiring, or replace it entirely with new pins. Mine is at the point the entire wire should be replaced.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You can also buy the plugs with wires attached on rockauto. Headlight pigtails basically

Reactions: JScullin

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yep those. One of the bulbs is a 9005 and one is a 9006.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Contours have similar issues but with the entire engine wiring harness. Ford issued a recall on the 95-97's to replace it. The 98-00's still had problems but were slightly improved. I've had a few issues with my '98. Liquid electrical tape FTW although I still need to direct wire one of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
3/5 of my headlights are fine. Of course the two that aren't are the ones I want in the car... I'm paranoid from working in computers/servers where the littlest thing could cause irreparable damage so I always recoat damaged sheathing. Strange that it would be the 02 lights when all three 99s are fine. Fresh in my mind because I just redid the turn signal sockets with one that will fit all the housings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts