New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have had this car for right about a month now, and yesterday i was at my friend's house playing need for speed underground, when i went to leave his house, i turned the car on, and the check engine light came on. it has not gone off since then. like i said i am very new to this car, so please let me know what is going on with this thing, and what to do to fix it.

:confused:

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,731 Posts
Go to your local AutoZone, and ask the guy at the counter to read your Check Engine code. They do it for free. Then they try to sell you the part to fix your problem.

Then when you fix the problem, you can unhook the battery for a few minutes and the light will be gone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is this something that is common for the cougar, when i had my previous car, in the 4 years i drove it i never had the check engine light come on.??

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The Check Engine Light is an OBDII standard for all post-1996 vehicles. The Cougar adheres to that standard, and if something is out of spec, the light will come on. If it's a non-critical error code, the light will go out within 10 ignition cycles. A flashing CEL means massive engine misfires- At that point, bend over, 'cause your engine's probably history barring something easy, like bad plugs/wires.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's possible that your car has had that problem since before you bought it, maybe it was reset before you took it for a test drive. I've had a CEL for a while. When I reset my computer sometimes it takes a week or more for the engine light to come back on again (usually only a day or two though.)

G

·
Originally posted by: deucer00
ok, i have had this car for right about a month now, and yesterday i was at my friend's house playing need for speed underground, when i went to leave his house, i turned the car on, and the check engine light came on. it has not gone off since then. like i said i am very new to this car, so please let me know what is going on with this thing, and what to do to fix it.

:confused:
Same prob for me. Im gonna try that auto zone sugestion though.

BTW, I just bought N4SU on xbox three days ago and I gotta say I like it. So far Ive gottien all the parts and Ive got a twisted 350z. Splendid!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts