1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm kinda new to Cougars.
We got it about 2 weeks ago.
72k miles on it.

Today it is raining. We got in the car normally and drove off, but at the first stop sign when we stopped, we noticed the car kind of... vibrating unusually at idle. We continued on and we noticed the CEL light was flashing.
At park or at idle the car was vibrating unusually. Apparently, when we turned the wipers off... the CEL light also turned off.
We got in the car to go home, and it was doing the vibrations again but the light wasnt flashing this time (although we did not use the wipers this time since we thought that had something to do with it).

What/why is this happening and what should we do? (We get our cars fixed at our mechanic's place by the way, I dont fix it myself)

Please and Thanks in advance!

edit: forgot to ad, at idle at red lights and all. we observed the RPM slightly rising (about half a CM or so) and going down, i dont know if this is normal either.
(CAR IS AUTOMATIC)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about... 115,000km (first owner bought the car in the US so the mileage is displayed in miles.. so 72k miles)

and we're not sure when the last tune up is... since we just got it 2 weeks ago from someone toronto (about an hour away).

·
8,582 Posts
Yeah, do a tuneup. My guess is that the spark plug wires are shot (but change the plugs too).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Wires are 75$ iirc, plugs are 3.50$ each i think, fuel filter is 5$, air filter ??

Dont quote me on those prices however about 150$ in parts.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
should i bring it to ford for the tune up
Yeah, if you want to pay 3-4 times as much as it would take for you to do it yourself...

Wond3r said:
or tell my mechanic the problem and ask him for a tune up?
(what do you think a tune up will cost?)
Yeah, if you want to pay 2-3 times as much as it would take for you to do it yourself...

;)

Seriously- Plugs, wires, filters... Very easy and the best thing you can do to get to know your car and make it run better.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats tempting! ahah
We were pretty worried while driving though, and it was only a few minute ride, it felt like the car might stop whenever there was a red light.
And when I got home, I read in the manual that the misfiring could damage the cat.converter and all this other stuff so I was pretty worried, and we'll probably take it in to our mechanic once we get the chance.

We dont want to drive around in it while its like this... rather not damage it further you know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts