New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, right now I have high performance summer tires on my Cougar but I want to replace them for the winter, since the winters up here in Canada get so bad lol. The size I have right now is P215/50R16 but I was wondering I i could get away with putting P215/55R16 , P215/60R16 or another size thats a bit different. Does any one know if it is okay for the Cougar or will it throw off the speedometer or something? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
u can put any size tires on the cougar. just that the speedometer is gonna read a little off. what i bought for the winter are 205-55-16. they r a little thinner so they can get better traction in the snow, the thinner the better. and the speedometer shouldnt read wrong. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just put on my stock tires for the witner and they get through any thing

·
Registered
43 Posts
i got 215/55R16's how good are those in the snow

·
Registered
43 Posts
they are Sumitomo HTR H4 all seasonal tires i payed alot for them they better be good in the winter lol

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
you guys have it all wrong. your not suppose to drive your cougar in the winter, thats what a winter beater is for. therefore you want the correct tire size to maintain the same overall diameter as not to throw anything off.

try a tire size calculator to see what you should run in a different size. also tirerack can tell you a good alternative size.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

I run, for the contour/mystique a stock 205/60R15 for snow tires ....

·
Registered
43 Posts
well i dont have that choice right know the coug is going to be in the snow for the whole season lol but my tires should be alright shouldnt they

·
Administrator
11,595 Posts
you guys have it all wrong. your not suppose to drive your cougar in the winter, thats what a winter beater is for. therefore you want the correct tire size to maintain the same overall diameter as not to throw anything off.

try a tire size calculator to see what you should run in a different size. also tirerack can tell you a good alternative size.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

I run, for the contour/mystique a stock 205/60R15 for snow tires ....
IIRC when I used to run the balloons that were 60's my speedo was only off by a mph or two. It was hard to find a set of decent 50's locally w/out special ordering. But it never really had a noticeable effect on driving aside from the very soft sidewalls. This was on my Winter wheels btw (stock 15's or 16's I think).

Dura, are you saying you bought all-seasons to use in place of Summer tires in the Winter? Why not get standard snows?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts