New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really starting to get bored with the flat "beep beep" our cars make when you "arm" them... is there a way to change it?

I know the units that make the noise are in the panel behind/by the rear speakers... IIRC they are like green or blue blocks...

any ideas?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not to hijack...but my car doesn't beep at all when it's armed. The lights just flash and the doors lock. *shrugs* Maybe I need to fix whatever it is scrupul0us is thinking of replacing...in which case I'm interested in the answers he gets, too. :)

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
The stock anti-theft system doesn't chirp. If you're already armed it and hit the lock button again, there is a small horn located in hte rear passenger side of the car that will sound.

If his is chirping, its aftermarket and was put in by someone.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Passenger side rear? i always thought that it was one of the 2 horns in the front of the car?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno about aftermarket... i bout the car used from some older lady... i doubt she had it installed unless it was a factory option...

so i guess the question now is how do i go about finding a suitable replacement? i really like the soundof the viper alarms when they chirp, but i dunno if you can get just the horn and get it to just make that chirp

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
In the book for my 99, it says its only suppose to flash the lights nothing more. So maybe they changed it in other years? :confused:

·
Registered
493 Posts
if you like the sound of the viper alarm why dont you just get a viper alarm? they are great alarm systems, they can utilize your power door locks for keyless entry, and you can get a cooler remote than that lame mercury one.. and a viper alarm can be had for only $230 installed... thats not bad for a good security system... plus you get a discount on your insurance for an alarm;)

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soon as u cut me the check ill def get on that :) looks like i might get a viper for xmas ;)

·
8,638 Posts
Originally posted by: mond12345
In the book for my 99, it says its only suppose to flash the lights nothing more. So maybe they changed it in other years? :confused:
They may have changed it <u>during</u> the 1999 model year - my '99 beeps the second time I hit the lock button, as someone else said.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Originally posted by: skater
They may have changed it <u>during</u> the 1999 model year - my '99 beeps the second time I hit the lock button, as someone else said.
I checked the 2000 manual also and it says nothing about beeping! I always wanted mine to beep... :cry:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally posted by: skater
I checked the 2000 manual also and it says nothing about beeping! I always wanted mine to beep... :cry:

you dont want a beep, its the most sissy sounding beep ever. im ashamed of hitting it in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I dont know about the cougs but i remember with my camaro it had the stock alarm and it was similar to ours but when you hit the lock button a second time it beeped the beep, was the activation of a fuel cut off... i doubt our cougs have that feature tho :shrug:

Dan

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I don't think i have tried it twice. maybe i should :drama:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.