New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wont to remove the mercury symbol off the back of my car, i wont to put my cougar symbol in its place. Can i do this? I noticed that the front symbol is held on by 3m tape is the back the same? Let me know?

Thanks

·
RIP CougaH
5,269 Posts
Yeah, its got the same type of adhesive as the front....but it also has 3 prongs that kind of get in the way but its not too bad.

What you do to get it off, is:
1. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to kind of heat up the adhesive so its easier to pull apart
2. Then while it is still warm, use some fishing line to cut through the adhesive, then pull it off. (you'll have to go around the entire emblem, as the prongs are in the center of it)
3. Then use bug off, or some rubbing alcohol to get the excess adhesive off of the decklid of the car
4. You may have a visible ring from where the Mercury emblem was, as the Cougar one is a smaller Diameter, but in my case it went away after waxing it.
5. Then if you have a NEW emblem with adhesive on it, just line it up, then peel off the little backer, then plop that bad boy on there:)

Enjoy, and if I left anything out I'm sorry;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The only things I would add to that would be to get some aquarium silicone sealant, remove the rear cover to the trunk lock, then apply some silicone to "fill" the holes left by the Mercury badge. Water will seep through the 3M tape that holds the new Cougar emblem on, it is basically a small sponge with tape on both sides. The silicone will keep water from leaking into your trunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts