New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of maintenance lately (oil, filters, belt checks, etc...) and was wondering if I should change my spark plugs... right now I'm around 63K and to my knowledge they have never been changed

G

·
I would, that shoulda been first on your list :). Change the wires while you're at it too. I change mine every 10k miles. But im running a step colder.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You should run the plugs listed in the FAQ- Normal duty cycle for plugs is 60k (though Ford touts 100k, :bs: ).. Also may want to change coolant (Dexcool CAN foul, though not always the case), replace both belts (water pump and serpentine), wires, all three filters, etc. If ATX, FLUSH THAT BISH!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Definetly. To kill two birds with one stone, remove the UIM to clean the crap out of that and while you have that off, you'll have alot more room to do the back plugs. You'll be suprised on how nasty it is.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cabin Filter Changed / Oil Filter Changed / Air Filter Changed / Oil Changed / Belts Fine / MTX so no flush / Coolant Fine

Wires could use a change I'm sure but I'm pretty broke ATM... links/recommendations on that? Don't need performance, just replacement I guess

I'll check the FAQ for plug specs

Any other suggestions for prev. maint. ?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
If your low on cash maybe skip the wires... But go get the plugs and a can of Brak cleen... or something to do the UIM. Take it off the UIM clean it out and maybe hit the LIM make sure it opens properly. And with it off do the plugs, even if you dont have the cash to get more plugs just take EACH one out and inspect it. Steel plugs in an aluminum block can seize. They should have factory anti-seize on them, but its still a good idea to remove them so they don't get stuck.

·
Registered
421 Posts
might as well hit up a can of seafoam while your at it. it's an upper cylinder cleaner that is fed through the brake booster line into the uim. follow the directions on the can. i did it about 5k miles ago and i noticed the engine ran a lot smoother and the idle smoothed out quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did seafoam late spring... justmade a nice HUGE cloud of white smoke (thanks tr0nic hehe)

I check the tires every other day

as for cleaning the UIM, i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna clean it... but thad be the most I've ever done to an engine and I dont really wanna do it by myself... I KNOW I'll fudge it up somehow... even with that tutorial that is floating around here... SO if anyone wants to come to Albany and give me a hand, thad be pretty sweet

As for the fuel filter... That was changed when they changed the fuel pump, but knowing them, they didnt flush anything and its full of tank "dust"... I've seen a TUT somewhere for changing this... is it difficult?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Does taking off the UIM require new gaskets or o-rings to reinstall?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
No the UIM / LIM gaskets are plastic frames with rubber seals that normaly shouldnt need to be replaced. Im sure the manual says you should but they are alot more durable than normal gaskets. Its pretty easy as long as you know how to remove the plastic hoses by keeping the outer ring part down as you pull out most of the way. And as long as you loosen from the farthest outside bolts moving your way in, and tighting it down starting in dead middle and working your way out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.