New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a "how-to" for the front...but is it the same for the rear?

Can someone give me a how to for the rear pads????

Thanks,
Sunni :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
First, go and buy the tool you need. The rear caliper pistons do not just push in like the front ones do. They actually screw back into place, so you need the correct tool for the job. :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Really? All you need is a torx bit? The tool one of the techs showed me didn't look like it used a torx bit....maybe I didn't get a good look.

As for plyers....bad idea. You will not be turning it evenly. I am sure it will work, in a "shade tree mechanic" sort of way. But replacing seals is not fun.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know if thats what or all I need! LOL

Thats why I am asking for a how to! I know that it takes a T45 or T50 though! ;) Well..thats what my sister and the guy at the parts store said anyway! :biggrin:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pliers work just fine, it turns even I have no clue what you're talking about for it not to turn even...

Anyways Sunni,
Just to change the pads its simple
You'll see a slide pin on the bottom of the caliper with a clip thru the pin so it doesnt fall out.
Remove the saftey clip, remove the bottom pin

You can now rotate the caliper upwards, remove the pads, (unloosen the brake fluid resivour cap) use the needle nose pliers turn the piston clockwise until its fully seated.
Put the new pads in and rotate the caliper back down (as you are putting the caliper back on, you will see a little 'nib' on the rear pads backing plate, make sure this lines up with one of the slots on the calipers piston. You'll see what I mean when you do this.

put the slide pin back in, put the saftey clip back in

Tools needed to change rear disc brakes = Lug wrench/Jack, needle nose Pliers

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much! Changing them tomorrow morning, I really appreciate it! ::biggrin:

·
Registered
902 Posts
The hardest one was the rear passenger side. After I stipped the torx bolts out I used vice grips and a hammer to get them off. After doing that, I found out I had NO pad left on one of them (posting pics later). Well, anyway, I finally got the new rotors and pads on and started on the driver's side. I can't even get the bolts off of that one! I tried to use the vice grips again and they don't work. So, I'm taking them to a mechanic. Maybe he can loosen them or something. Stupid ford and those darned impact wrenches.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll say it again,
NO BOLTS need to be removed to change pads on the rear calipers. the bottom slide pin comes out, flop the rotor upwards, remove pads, screw in piston, flop caliper down.

to replace the rotor, remove 2 caliper mounting bolts, ***Leave the top torx bolt connected to the caliper and the caliper mounting bracket*** this will save hours of aggravation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts