New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I went to change my rear brake pads today ( I have disc brakes) and I couldnt get the piston to go back into its housing. I have the Ford CD and it says to use a special tool that pushes the piston back into the housing, but I dont have that tool. Is there any way around using that tool? I tried using a 4" c-clamp on it, but I couldnt get the clamp to secure to the piston or to the caliper, thus it would not push the piston back in.

Let me know how you changed the pads and how you got the piston to go back in to its housing. If i need to buy the tool, let me know, and I will pick one up ASAP......

Thanks,

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DOHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I feel stupid.... In the picture for the instructions, it shows a twistie arrow, and i though it meant you twisted the end of the special tool and it pushed the opposite end of the tool outward...

Man..i could have had my damn pads changed yesterday!!!! oh well..

at least i got the fluid changed, oil changed, tranny fluid changed, and fuel filter changed.......now i have to do the intake pipe and the pads.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
440 Posts
if you are just changing the rear pads, no sockets are needed.

there is a slide pin on the bottom of the caliper, pull the retaining clip, remove the pin, and rotate the caliper upwards.

NOTE: Whatever you do, do NOT remove the bolt on the top of the caliper, it is a royal b8tch to put back.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You can get the caliper tool at any autozone or even sears. It's brass block that is about 2"x2". It costs around $9 and has 6 different patterns to use on different cars. It accepts a 3/8" drive ratchet. Or, like said before, you can use needle nose pliers.

G

·
so none of the bolts have to be removed for the rear pad replacement? how easy is it supposed to be to rotate the caliper upwards? I tapped on it a little with a hammer after removing the pin but was afraid of what might happen if i hit my caliper too many times. thanks for the help

Chip <><

1 - 9 of 9 Posts