New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I saw this how-to somwhere before but I forgot where and I tried to search but couldnt find anything with "guage mods" or "guage computer lights" etc.

So can someone lead me to it..........or just tell me how to do it. :)

I have done most of the LED swaps already but would like to know how to do this one.

Tank ya!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
You take apart the gauge cluster, pull the green film out, sand it and then put some sorta blue tape over it. I'm not sure how to do blue, but I used red brake light tape when I did mine red, cause the tape was transparent. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O thats all? No LED replacement or stuff like that?

And how long did it take you to do?

I need to correct my speedometer guages anyways - lol - they are 10 mph off and was using this opporutnity (of chaning the green to blue) to fix it too.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Here Ye Go

thats on a ford focus, but from what I hear it's almost exactely the same and so you should be able to figure it out with not too much hard thinking! hehe hope that helps :thumbsup:
-Cody W.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thats the one I used and it worked fine by the way I used blue colored Electrical tape.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It probably took me all of a half hour to do......its a crazy easy mod and makes a big difference IMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
746 Posts
yup thats true I drove around last night and just loved the look, but I also took the green off my gauges and changed them to blue, it need a little fine tuning but it looks good, and will do the job till my new gauges get here

·
Registered
746 Posts
your supposed to sand the green film off the back off, the piece behind the LCD, that way you dont get color distortion

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I think I'm the only one that did this with LEDs. If you're gonna go that route, you want to take the paper backings off from behind each glass piece and gently sand off all the green crap and then aim a couple LEDs behind the lenses. Be careful of LED hot spots where the light is brighter in a focused area. You'll have to play with the LEDs to adjustment them so it's even.

Some photos I took of the screens.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was thinking of doing it that way but I just couldn't figure it out. now that i know sorta how to do it I might give it a try.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I didn't want to start another thread on this topic.

Anyway, I was wondering if I chose to make my Needles blue, how would I go about doing this?

Would I just use more blue electrical tape instead of the red brake tape from the Focus How-To?

Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Back on the lcd's.. I did it w/o any sanding at all. I just removed the green/silver film leaving just the clear glass. Then put two led's in each screen and angled them off to the sides. Couldn't have turned out betta :)

They look really bright in this pic but they are actually perfect brightness at nite and no change during the day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dang CaeSly, that does look sweet! :biggrin:

Also, scrupul0us, I did do a search but I didn't find anything. :( I even manually searched all of the pages in the "Interior Cosmetic" section before posting. Honest, I wasn't being lazy. Heck, if anything, perhaps I can be called dum -(get it?)- but not lazy. Sorry if I posted for something that's been previously addressed. Honest.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
no harm no foul... most likely is was discussed mid thread somewhere and didnt make it into an actual thread... post in the how to with a request... im sure someone did it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.