New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am going to try and change my brakes for the first time. I have never done this, so I am a bit hesitant about doing it.

Also, I have some questions...

Is there any recommendations on brands? What do I need initially?
Lastly, does anyone know of a "how-to" with some pics?

Thanks and sorry for being such a fool!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Here you go... This is for the front brakes, but if you are doing both front and back: The rear disk brakes are exactly the same as the fronts, except you can't compress the caliper with a clamp - you have to screw it back in. You will understand what I mean when you have the brakes apart. For rear drum brakes - I have never done these so I don't have any info for you.

How to change brakes with pictures.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
No problem. One thing that you also should do that the how-to doesn't say is to grease the back of the pads. When you buy the pads, they should come with a little packet of it. Just smear it all over the back of the pads (the part that does not go against the rotor) before you put them into the calipers. It will help to reduce squeeky brakes. Good luck - you shouldn't have any problems... It is a fairly easy job.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Originally posted by: coyotefreek
get mintex pads, best you can buy
TOTALLY disagree with the n00b. i had Mintex and while they claim they have lower dust, they dusted worse than any other pad i had ever had. The performance wasn't any better either. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
TOTALLY disagree with the n00b. i had Mintex and while they claim they have lower dust, they dusted worse than any other pad i had ever had. The performance wasn't any better either. Very disappointing.
Agreed

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I use mintex pads and have had no complaints, as they age and get closer to the end of their life
they dust a little more.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just put NAPA Ceramic pads on the front of mine...well it has been over a week....there is NO dust on my rims and I am loving it. They perform really well and in talking to people that have em they last.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Don't be intimidated to change your own brake pads; it's one of the easiest mainteinance things you can do on the car besides oil changes and air filter changes. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts