New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to change the green light that glows from the headlight/foglight/parkinglight knob. The best part about this is that the light itself is clear, you only need to remove the green film and replace it with something else.

Under the steering colomn there is a plastic cover that you have to remove. You will see two covered circles, remove the covers and take out the two screws (use socket). After removing the two screws you can then pull the cover itself off, it is held on with clips...just pull the whole thing down.

The silver dash trim peice, where the headlight knob is located, will now be exposed to remove. Look under the trim peice and you will see two tox screws, remove them. Now pull the trim peice off, just like the steering colomn cover. Disconnect the wire harness for the headlight knob, interior light dial, and the light that goes into the back of the headlight knob. Now remove the three torx screws that hold the headlight knob on. Now you should be holding the headlight knob in your hand....good job. :)

Look at the first picture for the next step. Using a toothpick, stick it into the small hole under the knob itself. While the toothpick is in there, you will be able to pull the knob off of the rest of the control. Now you will see the black, sticker, ring with the three icons on it. It's just a sticker, peel it off CAREFULLY.

If you turn it over and hold a flashlight up to it, you will see where the cutouts are for the icons. (use picture 2 to see what I mean)

The entire back of the ring is a sticker, but you will see where the green film is covering the cutouts for the icons. Using a razor blade, carefully peel off the green film from behind the icons. You want to be careful because you do not want to remove too much of the sticker, as it will not stay in place when you put everything back together again. Also, you do not want to remove too much of the black surrounding the icons, otherwise the light will shine through and the icons will look silly. Hold a flashlight under what you are doing, that way you can see where you stand. You might think you have all the green off, but look at it through the light, you might see some more.

After you have removed all the green from under the icons now you want to color it what ever color you want...just make sure what ever you use is transparent. Depending on what you use, you might need several layers...use the flashlight to judge how dark or light of a color you want.

Personally I changed mine to red, I used red colored tail light repair tape. This also comes in other colors, you can find it at any auto parts store. I used three layers of the tape. I also experimented with finger nail polish and other transparent colored paints. Test things out to see what is best for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean speedo? You can buy a custom set from black cat custom.

I talked to a few different companies about making a cheap version, as long as you just want a simple color change, but it's not worth it. I figured that all you need is the guage face lay over, basically a peice of colored plastic with the colored numbers...but for anybody to make a set it would end up costing just about as much, and you would get a crappy version. Black cat makes some sweet guages, you can design your own custom set up and they can make it for you. I am having them make guage faces for my Cougar, they are going to be all black with red numbers. They will have no gas and temp icons, no KPH, and they will have small Fett logos above the needles. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts