New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car into a mechanic a short time ago and there was a noise between 70/80 and 120 KM/Hr.
The noise seems to be coming from just under the center of the dash...

The mechanic told me the name of the bearing ( rocker? roller? )... Anyone know what that bearing is called?
It is making more noise now and I want to have it looked at but want to know the proper name for it instead of referring to it as the bearing thingy in the center? =)

Thanks much.

Anyone else have similar issues?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
What kind of noise are you talking about? and does it only happen at high speed or maybe at high RPM?

humm maybe ask in the 2.0 forum... id say more but i bearly know the 2.5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by: Moraki
What kind of noise are you talking about? and does it only happen at high speed or maybe at high RPM?
It definately occurs at higher speeds... It seems to be a slow scratching at 50-60 and increases in pitch/freq as I speed up...
It seems to be coming from just in front and underneath the gear shift...

Like I said the other mechanic said it was a bearing that is located in the center/front of the car.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The only bearing located there is the intermediate jackshaft bearing. Your passenger side CV shaft (if you have a manual transmission) goes from the passenger side front wheel, to a bearing mounted in the location you're talking about (center of car, about 2.0 feet forwards of the shifter). That bearing supports the interface between the outer halfshaft (wheel hub to bearing), and the jackshaft (from bearing into the differential).

Massiv.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by: Massiv
The only bearing located there is the intermediate jackshaft bearing. Your passenger side CV shaft (if you have a manual transmission) goes from the passenger side front wheel, to a bearing mounted in the location you're talking about (center of car, about 2.0 feet forwards of the shifter). That bearing supports the interface between the outer halfshaft (wheel hub to bearing), and the jackshaft (from bearing into the differential).

Massiv.

Bingo! That's the one... I have a 5-speed manual...
I looked on this website and found the Input Shaft Bearing... Is that the same part?

Any idea what kind of time would be required to change a part like that?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I doubt very much it is that bearing. Input shaft bearing would probably be the bearing inside the transmission that supports the input shaft. This is a bearing that supports the passenger side halfshaft/jackshaft interface. In terms of changing it, you would:

1. Jack up car
2. Pull off wheel
3. Loosen top strut nut 5 full turns
4. Remove lower control arm pinch bolt
5. Remove tie-rod end (from knuckle)
6. Pop-out lower control arm from knuckle (not trivial if it hasn't been done on your car in a while, or you don't have a SERIOUS crowbar)
7. Separate outer halfshaft from the jackshaft at that bearing (may involve the two nuts that retain the jackshaft, but very possibly not)
8. Remove the two nuts that retain the bearing (and dustcover) to block
9. pull off the bearing, put on new one
10. Do everything back up.

Not hard, but if you're not mechanically inclined, or have no experience with the suspension, it could be tricky.

Massiv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.